Sign in to follow this  

California riding area suggestion

hey fellas, so we bought our son a crf 80 today that we will be giving him this weekend. We are going to be taking him camping for his birthdays as well as to teach him to ride. any suggestions on where to go? somewhere that is advantageous to teach an 8 year old to ride and to camp with out melting. I live in Oceanside (north SD county), i've been down to pine valley / corral canyon a few times, but that doesn't seem like the best place to learn. Thanks for the help.

Adam

Wide open place. Soft landing area. Cooling temps.

The beach at pismo sounds perfect. If you keep him on the shore you could actually ride a mountain bike next to him.

Yea, it's a drive.

i wasn't able to find any info on blackstar canyon, other than there is ghosts. i was thinking of going up to hungry valley svra. Any thoughts on that?

i wasn't able to find any info on blackstar canyon, other than there is ghosts. i was thinking of going up to hungry valley svra. Any thoughts on that?

Kinda far and hot right now. I got a newbie training ground where I'm out here in Temecula area.

Black star canyon; take chapman past orange going east till it ends.

I would suggest El Mirage. It's hot but a great training ground for kids. For some reason a lot of the guys here in the CA forums can't stand El Mirage.

I have always liked El Mirage because it has everything from super easy to super difficult terrain.

Another option is Holcomb Valley campground in Big Bear. Lot's of riding in and around the camp.

I almost forgot, Wildomar is close, not too hot and great training grounds for a kid. Just past the forestry station on Ortega hang a right, go a few miles and you are there.

Wildomar OHV A few miles past the ranger station more like 10 miles down a slope and overgrown brush to scrape your truck. Then you get there an it's five bucks. I rode that place in 30 mins and went home, good place for a beginner though there is way better options closer.

Wildomar OHV A few miles past the ranger station more like 10 miles down a slope and overgrown brush to scrape your truck. Then you get there an it's five bucks. I rode that place in 30 mins and went home, good place for a beginner though there is way better options closer.

I'm thinking close as in from Orange County. You must have a lowered truck. The road is narrow but not that bad. Of course it's been a year since I rode out there….

Sounds like you like that place Chris it's a great place for your skill level.

Nope wrong about a lowered truck.

Wildomar OHV :thumbs down:

• Like 1

I do actually. Bloody Jersey trail here I come!

I do actually. Bloody Jersey trail here I come!

Kinda far and hot right now. I got a newbie training ground where I'm out here in Temecula area.

Black star canyon; take chapman past orange going east till it ends.

What is the place you speak of in temecula? i'd really love to not drive 3+ hours

can some one link to black star canyon, an ohv map or something, i can't find anything about ohv and blackstar

It's not a OHV friendly kinda just out near saddleback mountain. Google map and follow chapman ave (going east)

from Orange all the way out into the mountains, plenty of riding areas for kids out there.

Cledgehorn is another great option. 15 to 138 exit. Go straight a mile or so along the freeway on the fire road and you are there. Under the trestles. Nice little open area for the kids. The Rangers are usually checking for spark arresters. But no drama. And if you follow the fire road under the freeway, there's really cool redundant loops around bushes and such.

It's actually a fun place for adults as well! Don't forget the forestry day pass at the 76 station (west across the freeway) before you park. Chevron no longer sells them. At least last time I was there.

Edited by ballisticexchris

Off that clegehorn you can see trails that go up into the hills. Can you ride anywhere up there? Thinking about going up there.