Sign in to follow this  

Washington Mechanic Input Pls

I lost access to my mechanic, and I've run into an issue I can't seem to resolve myself.....and I don't want to have to take my bike to the local Honda dealership. So, anyone care to share their trusted mechanic contact info? The issue with an '04 Honda CRF250R. I can't seem to get it to fire after a head rebuild...bark and sputter a bit, but not run. (Yup, new plug, checked/double/triple checked timing, cleaned carb and jets, new fuel, cleaned air filter....) BTW, I'm in the Tacoma area.

Thanks guys,

Andy T.

Did you check the valve clearances after rebuilding the head?

Yes......They are set to factory spec. And changed the plug, and checked the timing... I've gone through all the obvious things, and I'm wondering if is a jetting issue. The carb is factory stock, and from what I've read, the jetting should be OK (good enough) for the 13.5:1 on premium gas. So I'm scratching my head and kicking my leg off at this point.... I've also gone over the timing (more than once or twice). It's not like there are points to adjust.... Granted, the symptom would still indicate a potential timing issue.

So you've got spark, compression and fuel? Is the plug wet after ya kick it a few times? Stock jetting will be fine to get it running. Might try draggin it to pop start.

Barton Built Racing is down your way. Great guy.

Edited by Slackkinhard

How old is the fuel? How long did it sit while being rebuilt? Just a shot in the dark but maybe the carb is plugged up from fuel gumming or just a small piece of debris while it was all apart. Or even another possibility is make sure the intake boot is seated properly all around.

So you've got spark, compression and fuel? Is the plug wet after ya kick it a few times? Stock jetting will be fine to get it running. Might try draggin it to pop start.

Barton Built Racing is down your way. Great guy.

[slack] Shane [barton] was who I used to use.... He closed his shop over a year ago, and is now doing something else. He was kind enough to do my fork seals this winter, but I got the impression he wasn't really focused on doing wrenching anymore..... The head was sent off to FastHeads in UT for the machining and valve work.

[bratnetwork] - Old fuel was dumpped, and new fuel was purchased and added the day I put it all back together. The head was off for about three weeks. I did pull the carb, removed the jets, and cleaned (body and jets) with carb cleaner (the slide was not removed). The air/fuel screw was set back to factory default (@ 2 1/4 turns out) as a baseline. The boot is also tight.....

I lost access to my mechanic, and I've run into an issue I can't seem to resolve myself.....and I don't want to have to take my bike to the local Honda dealership. So, anyone care to share their trusted mechanic contact info? The issue with an '04 Honda CRF250R. I can't seem to get it to fire after a head rebuild...bark and sputter a bit, but not run. (Yup, new plug, checked/double/triple checked timing, cleaned carb and jets, new fuel, cleaned air filter....) BTW, I'm in the Tacoma area.

Thanks guys,

Andy T.

Call Dave Sheets with TBT, 360-863-3528

Finally a name.... Thanks Finch, I will look him up.

+1 on Dave Sheets with TBT racing. Awesome suspension and motor work. Heck, he will even stop on the side of the freeway and fix your car for you if you are stranded... Just because he is that kinda guy!

180 degrees off?

I always put a wooden dowel on top of the piston so i know exactly where tdc is. Then look at cam position

180 degrees off?

I always put a wooden dowel on top of the piston so i know exactly where tdc is. Then look at cam position

Already thought about that too... I don't think I had that much beer to drink.....? I also use a dowel to make sure the piston is at the top of the stroke.

Did you get ahold of Dave?

Looked him up in the web, but haven't had time to call....

MRP motor work out in puyallup 253-219-6323 ask for Matt

Well, I was able to get it running somewhat this weekend.... I took it all apart and started the timing procedure from scratch setting the crank/piston to TDC (without the cam installed). Installed the cam and made sure all three alignment marks were correct. However.... and a lesson learned, the initial setting is always made without the cam chain tensioner installed. What I noticed was the timing was off by one tooth on the cam sprocket once the tensioner was installed. I think my error was not checking it "after" the tensioner was installed.... I can get it to fire off now, but it's running really rough. I'm going to call the suggested contacts to see who has time to work on it hopefully this week. I think (hope) now it's just a matter of tuning the carb.

With the tight clearance being one tooth off and kicking it over, hope you didnt bend a valve.

With the tight clearance being one tooth off and kicking it over, hope you didnt bend a valve.

Second that. Might want to do a leak down test...or just pull it apart and take a look.

I'd be mighty upset at myself if I bent a valve after spending ~$700 getting ithe head rebuilt...... I talked to Dave Sheets yesterday (btw, nice guy), and he said the carb definitely needs to be taken a part and gone through; said that the carb doesn't do well to sit idle for long periods..... (I know I need to ride more..., but I had an excuse, two major sugeries in back to back years!)