Sign in to follow this  

xl 500 back fees

So I just bought my second honda xl 500 in great shape everything is there and in good condition. The problem is that it hasn't been register since 2008.does anyone know about the backed fees in california?? Is there any kind of waiver when switching owners or am I screwed?? Also does anyone know what I should use to clean the chain it's very dirty??

If you can get the previous owner to write out a "statement of facts" (specific DMV form) that says the bike was stored or used only on private property and never in public, for the time it was not registered, then you can sometimes get some of the back fees waived.

I agree what a rip off !! I went to the dmv and the lady says that the back fees transfer over to the new owner but the bright side she says they only charge you up to 3 years max. So unless there is some kind of write rules they won't tell you about I think I'm screwed....

I had a car that I didn't use and didn't register for several years. When I decided to re-register, I had to get a form to state that it wasn't used that entire time or I would have to pay for all those years registration to get it current. This is Wisconsin, but I would assume it's the same.

Wow, they get you by the balls down there, if our cars aren't insured we can't drive them and they sit in our driveways

• Like 1

I'd call several times and different offices, sometimes there is a couple employees that will tell you other stuff. I've run into it a time or two where the lady(usually is a gal) is nothing but a b***** and won't help, the next person freely tells you all you want to know.