Sign in to follow this  

DRZ front end swap- SM conversion!

Hello everyone, been a long time user of the great info on these forums but I've just now joined because I need a few critical bits of information.

I'm planning on doing a DRZ S to SM conversion, but on a bit of a minimalist mindset.

My goals are to end up with near-SM performance without the extra $2k that everyone seems to think their SM is worth, regardless of age and mileage.

I plan on swapping out the forks for the USD forks and by doing so, upping the front rotor to the 310mm (IIRC) SM rotor size.

The 47mm Showa forks and the RMZ 250 triple tree to have the correct offset are what I'm planning on getting.

I also want to leave the rear. This bike is going to be around-town fun and city commuting, not track racing so that won't be important.

So my main questions are-

1) Will my plan with the front work out? I know I "should" get the SM speedo drive, but frankly, a bit of difference doesn't matter.

2) Will the stock SM Excel (takasago 17") rims bolt right into that setup? No spacers, etc? (pics please!)

3) Are all 47mm Showa's the same? They look identical but come off of Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki. Any difference in caliper bolting or anything?

4) How about the back end? Will there be any spacing problems? Are they easy to overcome?

Thank you all for your time!

Edited by YTStrider

You dont NEED the upside down forks to play motard. Dont waste your time. Go with correct springs and valving for your weight, pipe FCR & jetting and Stainless Steel brake lines. All the rest is just show and doesnt add performance in real world.

People want $2000 more for the SM because the wheelset & tires, with rotors all setup COST AT LEAST $1500.

What's the cost on upgrading/ tuning the forks?

I'm about 180lbs, maybe 190 with my gear, pack, etc.

How can I swap in the sumo wheels on an S model then?

From what I've heard, it's more difficult that way.

Also, EBC big brake kit?

I'm not awfully concerned with going into mods because of the area I'm in, I'd like to be quiet and not noticed too much.

My only real desire is to get the sumo wheels on and have it relatively simple to do swaps back to dirt tires.

Thanks for replying!

Stock sm wheels will bolt onto an s model. You will need a 320 rotor cause there is no caliper spacer for a 310 on an s. No difference in motors or performance. You get more front brake and more tire contact patch. S model does good with road tires on stock rims. I didn't have any more fun on the street on my s with stock rims or sm wheels and I have both.

What kind of trails do you ride?

Also don't waste your money on forks. The s model forks as long as they are 02+ work fine. I've had mine on the street, trails, mx and sm track. Just set them up for your weight and intended use.

The easiest way to go SM style is this: http://www.epicmotos...catalogId=-3060

I plan on ordering this kit for my bike in the future, seems to be a pretty good deal for bolt on and go play.

yes but that isnt all the parts if you want to ride on the street. The biggest thing really is a speedo. Warp9's dont have a speedo drive on the front wheel. I went with a koso db01 which is like $160. Then you really need to put on new pads with the new rotors front and rear. Also a new chain and front sprocket is a good idea with the new rear. To get all the parts it ends up about $1500. I ended up going with an ebc floating front rotor cause i didnt like the warp9 solid front that comes with the wheels. I kept the rear rotor and ordered a few rear sprocket sizes. KTM bolt pattern on the rear sprocket fyi. I run 15/48 gearing on my bike but if you have a stock S, at least one that hasnt had cams and been openend up to actually breath to redline then you need to stick with a smaller rear or you will be tapped out around 55mph.

So a 320mm rotor for the front, and the EBC kit is what you're saying, right?

And I will be riding in some trails, but the different types will be mountain (real dirt) and then fireroads (which are more dust and sand than dirt)

If that's the case on the USD forks I won't bother!

The bike will mostly be for playing around the city, maybe a few stairs and such :ride:

But beyond that, a couple trails here and there. That's where the extra set of dirt rims and tires comes in. Quick swap and then I'm fully dirt ready (I can handle sub-par fork setup)

Honestly though, it's probably not that critical, but if I can set it up to be easy in the future, it would be a major plus.

Can you give me an idea of how much I should plan on spending to get the forks tuned right?

the EBC is the 320 rotor. the kit is the rotor and the caliper bracket. If you buy warp9 rims they come with the sprocket and rotors BUT i didnt like the front rotor it came with which is why i upgraded to the EBC floating 320 rotor. Personal preference but i much prefer having a floating rotor up front, especially one so larger. Better braking performance.

How much you have to pay to get your suspension setup(forks and shock) will depend on the shop you go to. The guy I use is Dave at www.fastbikeindustries.com. Since he is here on the east coast it might be better for you to find a shop locally. If they revalve, respring and service the forks I would expect at least $750.

If you just want to ride fire roads and some dirt trails, nothing really nasty like tight single track, you can just leave the SM wheels on but be conscience about the extra front brake power. Avon Distanzia tires are good on road and off road and would be a good compromise.

If you want to save yourself a little money you can buy just the rims(hoops), spokes, front brake rotor and bracket, OEM SM speedo drive and tires and call it a day. You will be in about $750 or so using all new parts. You might be able to find some cheap rim/spoke deals on ebay.

moto

Yeah! What you've got there looks great for what I'm going for.

So I would just need

1) EBC kit which comes with the rotor (do the hubs and rotors have the same bolt pattern? I mentioned the noob part, yeah?)

2) forks tuned (if they weren't already modded)

3) the SM rims and tires

Or, relace the old hubs into the SM rims, EBC kit, and the speedo?

Seems like about the same deal, just no hubs and using the old fork setup.

Forks will probably be the last thing to get done mainly because of the cost after buying the bike and other parts.

What about swapping sprockets in the back? And you would just use the stock smaller rear rotor right?

Yeah! What you've got there looks great for what I'm going for.

So I would just need

1) EBC kit which comes with the rotor (do the hubs and rotors have the same bolt pattern? I mentioned the noob part, yeah?)

2) forks tuned (if they weren't already modded)

3) the SM rims and tires

Or, relace the old hubs into the SM rims, EBC kit, and the speedo?

Seems like about the same deal, just no hubs and using the old fork setup.

Forks will probably be the last thing to get done mainly because of the cost after buying the bike and other parts.

What about swapping sprockets in the back? And you would just use the stock smaller rear rotor right?

ebc isnt the only brake kit, just the one i chose. If you get warp9 rims they already come with the brake rotors so that extra couple hundred bucks is optional if you want a better front rotor. Warp9 rims also come with the rear rotor and rear sprocket. you can specify size. if you are getting a stock drz S model then i suggest running a 15/42 or smaller rear. The S model has a 220mm rear rotor and thats what comes on the Warp9 rims. You want to stick with that size. Stock SM has a 240mm rotor but the caliper bracket is different so you would have to swap more parts over to make it work.

Cheapest option is to find a set of factory SM wheels, get an SM fender(the dirt fender just looks silly) and the factory SM speedo drive. The price all depends on what you can find a used set of rims for.

And hopefully they will come with the rotors and sprockets. Those add to the cost.

Also, I'd have to get the brake kit.

I'll have to look around for prices.

What are decent prices for the rims?

Yikes.

So in other words, the tires are the most expensive part.

Seems like the wheel setup is going to cost half as much as the whole bike!

WOW!

So, in other words, it really would be much more advantageous to get an SM for around $3.5k and buying a set of S rims and tires for offroad riding.

I never realized just how expensive the wheels were for sumo. The stock SM Excels are more than enough for everyday riding!

The stock rims are nice. The problem with putting s rims(which will be almost as expensive as sm rims) is that the sm has a 310 rotor. This means you hhave to run a 310 on the dirt rim. It works but is a bit too much brake. Cheapest option is to find q bike that already has both sets.

Yeah that might be what it comes out to then.

Because the majority of the bike will be onroad and some playing around in fields and such.

Then swapping over for some dual sport rides every couple weekends or so.

So maybe I'll be holding out for an SM.

The dirt wheelset seems to be a cheaper option later on down the road maybe.