Sign in to follow this  

Clutch going out?

So i rode my bike (08 crf450r) this evening and noticed when the bike isnt running but in gear, with the clutch pulled all the way in, it is harder to push and the tire will skid every once in awhile. Now i bought the bike new and even new you could put it on a stand, pull the clutch in, and the tire would spin. I tried adjusting the play in the clutch lever via the cable but it didnt seem to make much of a difference. It hasnt slipped at all yet. Any idea what the problem may be? Thanks

Levi

Sounds like the basket might be notched. You could lay on it's side and pull the clutch cover off without draining the oil. Then pull the plates and check to see if the basket and hub are notched. Quick, easy, and free.

Until the motor is HOT you can't judge clutch quality.

Drag some of the time is completely normal.

Clutch basket notching will have no effect on disengagement throw, only quality

Clutch metal plates that are warped only a mm or so will affect drag and amount.

Awesome. Thanks for the input guys. Might open it up and check it out. Could be that the plates got warm and warped a little. I guess as long as it isn't stalling or slipping, just run it til it does then replace.

Glad I found this forum

Awesome. Thanks for the input guys. Might open it up and check it out. Could be that the plates got warm and warped a little. I guess as long as it isn't stalling or slipping, just run it til it does then replace.

Glad I found this forum

i wouldn't wait till it slips. measure the fibers. The min spec on the fiber plates is 2.8mm, new is about 3.0mm. if you let the fibers get to almost 2.8mm they may really be slipping, and then for sure overheat your metals. At that point, you are spending $12+- for all the fibers AND all the metals when you likely could have just gone with fibers only.. It also pays to look at the pressure plate surface and center hub surface (where the outermost and innermost fibers ride) to see if they have dug in and worn down. if so, ya may not get nearly the performance from new fibers if you do put em in. After measureing a couple times, you will get a feel for how often you need to do it..

Edited by MELK-MAN

i wouldn't wait till it slips. measure the fibers. The min spec on the fiber plates is 2.8mm, new is about 3.0mm. if you let the fibers get to almost 2.8mm they may really be slipping, and then for sure overheat your metals. At that point, you are spending $12+- for all the fibers AND all the metals when you likely could have just gone with fibers only.. It also pays to look at the pressure plate surface and center hub surface (where the outermost and innermost fibers ride) to see if they have dug in and worn down. if so, ya may not get nearly the performance from new fibers if you do put em in. After measureing a couple times, you will get a feel for how often you need to do it..

Not trying to hijack this post, but out of curiosity you are running a similar set up to me Melk-Man. I know it depends how you ride etc. but how often, Hours wise are you replacing clutch fibres?

Not trying to hijack this post, but out of curiosity you are running a similar set up to me Melk-Man. I know it depends how you ride etc. but how often, Hours wise are you replacing clutch fibres?

i can look at my log, but they get replaced way before they really need it. I get about 100hrs out of a reKluse exp2.0 ring before the grooves wear out inside, and the device won't work as it did when new. When i get 2 new rekluse plates, i get new fibers as well. it just works so much better with new clutch components but the old fibers still measure above 2.8, usually about 2.9mm. Before i ran a rekluse, i would get a few hundred hours out of a clutch. the basket would wear in fact, and i was replacing the fibers due to the teeth of the fibers being worn. Again, woods stuff, not clutching out of corners at high rpm on a mx track, and no high-rev gate drop mx starts. And when the exp2.0 ring starts to wear, and the fiber material turns a darker color (from heat) it takes longer to engage, and it wears the pressure plate.. i have replaced 2 of those in recent past (one on each bike). When everythign is new, the rekluse 2.0 works awesome..

The oil you use can make a big difference on drag.

At 2.8mm your fibers are way out of spec, out by .002".

I replace mine just under 2.95mm or .116" Honda's specs are 2.85mm to 3.0mm or .112" to .118".

Also, most of the clutch drag comes from the inner hub tension. Loosen the nut slightly and lock it down. Then, when the bike is running in neutral on a stand, the rear wheel will not spin from the drag.

Jason