Sign in to follow this  

Am I too big for my CR250?

Yep.

Did you rundown some teenager and steal his CR80?

just kidding!

Moto bikes are made to fit the under 6ft rider, at 6ft 4in I have a tall seat, tall bend handlebars, bar risers, mounted almost 2" forward, rear offset pegs, -helps keep my toe off the brake / shifter, with all of that, big springs in the forks and shock, and more, still feels / looks like I borrowed some kid's supermini RM100!!

533042775_VvrDD-XL1 - Copy.jpg

533153401_7YBCN-XL1.jpg

Edited by Racerex

Glad to see in not the only big dude around here! I'm 6'5" and think its time to either make similar changes or look into something even a little bit bigger.

Also, I think my rear sag is too low. Am I right?

The mid '90 CR's are small. I'm 6'6" and to get comfortable on my '95 CR, I had to install an aftermarket top clamp with adjustable bar mounts located in the forward position w/ Renthal RC High bars, and install an OEM optional tall seat. The rider cockpit is still smaller than my stock 07 CR cockpit.

i'm 6'3" 190 lbs. i run tall bars, a tall seat & lowered foot pegs to help me fit on the bike. the yz 2-stroke is the largest bike off the showroom floor or at at least it was for years. i had an 08 yz250 and i fit on that bike pretty well. Over the winter i built a cr500af. The chassis is an 06 crf250r. man i am cramped on the thing. Even with all the mods above done to it it still feels really small. i look at at this way......I could 5'4" and be trying to figure how to touch the ground lol.

Looking at the picture a tall seat and tall bars would help out a lot. You can buy some bar risers and then run some tall bend bars. i can't see what bars your running but if you have 7/8th bars you can get some risers that will also allow you to upgrade to 1 1/8" fat bars. is your suspension stock? if so you definitely need to go up probably 2-3 spring rates. check out race tech for a decent spring rate calculator.

Tall bars and/or risers alone will just make you feel more cramped on a 94 CR, because the stock bar mounts are way back in your lap. You need to move the bars forward if you are tall.

Edited by CamP

Tall bars and/or risers alone will just make you feel more cramped on a 94 CR, because the stock bar mounts are way back in your lap. You need to move the bars forward if you are tall.

Absolutely. Even at 6'1" I find the OEM clamp with tall bars puts them too far back for my taste. I also prefer to use a top clamp that has some for/aft adjustment. The OP's pic does look like the race sag is excessive, the right spring rates will help get proper sag without over compressing the spring. Nice looking CR BTW.

I'm 6'7" and have a 2001 cr250. Only mod I have is the henry/reed bend bars. My arms don't really feel cramped it’s more the angle of my legs. I get crazy quad burn after a few hours of riding as I seem to be in a low crouched stance all the time as I don’t feel comfortable standing (pushing myself to do it and learn/feel comfortable) I only just got back into riding and only do trails and pits. I’m going to keep my eye on this thread.

One thing I have read is the raised seat doesn’t really do much as it raises your center of gravity. Being so tall I think my COG is high enough as it is. May do some more looking into peg adjustment.

Edited by Hemps37

I'm 6'7" and have a 2001 cr250. Only mod I have is the henry/reed bend bars. My arms don't really feel cramped it’s more the angle of my legs. I get crazy quad burn after a few hours of riding as I seem to be in a low crouched stance all the time as I don’t feel comfortable standing (pushing myself to do it and learn/feel comfortable) I only just got back into riding and only do trails and pits. I’m going to keep my eye on this thread.

One thing I have read is the raised seat doesn’t really do much as it raises your center of gravity. Being so tall I think my COG is high enough as it is. May do some more looking into peg adjustment.

the tall seat is too aid going from sitting to standing. shortens the distance.

The seat height is different for different models. For example, the stock seat height (peg to top of seat) on my 07 CR is 1" higher than my 95 CR. Even with the optional 95 tall seat, the 95 is still 1/2" shorter than the 07. I run a stock seat on the 07 because it's already tall enough and if you go any higher, it negatively affects cornering.

Can anyone suggest a good top clamp? Source for a tall seat? Thanks!

Nobody makes a top clamp specifically for the 96 CR250, but you can run any 24mm offset CR/CRF top clamp up to 07. Just look for one with multiple bar mount locations. The front number plate changed in the various years, but fabricating a bracket is pretty easy.

Honda recently discontinued the optional tall seat for the 96, so you'll have to use aftermarket foam/cover to build a taller seat.

Here's a 04-07 CR/CRF top clamp that has a very forward bar mount option. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Taper-Top-Handlebar-Clamp-Honda-04-05-CR125-CR250-CRF250-CRF450-triple-tree-/181169823724?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2e901fec&vxp=mtr

Edited by CamP

Curious, how much taller is a tall seat on average?

Usually about 1/2"-3/4". The OEM tall seat is 1/2" taller. I actually have a spare aftermarket tall seat foam and cover that will fit your bike. PM me if you are interested in it.

Edited by CamP

Tried to PM you but it says your inbox is full. Very interested.

I cleared out my PM box.

The guy on the first pic is too big for that cr 250.

Jap bikes are made accordingly to japanese market. Not many in asia are six footer.

Us tall guys just don't have much of a choice. I'm about 6'4" and have no problem flat footing the ground on any of my bikes. But lucky for me, I know I am not that goofy looking on my bike when you look at pictures of Rick Smits on his bikes. Ex-NBA center who is over 7 feet tall and enjoys riding/racing.