Sign in to follow this  

Suspension settings for 220 pound rider ?

Hopefully this weekend i'll get my first ride-out on my 'recently refreshed' 2004 model WR 😉

I'm about 220 pounds with gear on, and will generally be doing some reasonably gentle Enduro stuff / Green laning here in the UK (Definately not MX type riding).

Can anyone give me any idea of a baseline / starting suspension settings front and rear for my first ride-out ???

try the stock suspension as per manual. But if you have the original springs they will be too soft for your weight. Enjoy your ride!

Check the first 4 videos here talking about suspensiion, KTM but applies, he's checking the sag on a Yamaha

Yea, id have to say you can mess with the clickers, and they could help somewhat. But ultimately, 220 on a wr250f, you WILL need to re-spring for your weight to really get the most out of it. You may be fine if you aren't really gettin on it. But I had a 2001 with stock springs, and hated it...i was about 190lbs. Re-spring, and it was a whole different bike.

That said, I have a stock sprung 07 yz250f @ 180lbs...and, havent had much to complain about. That could be that its more "mx" oriented suspension (including valving) and I am not fast enough to really push it past the springs limit..however my race sag is still respectable on this bike....who knows. I just know I didnt like the stock springs on my WR.

I would suggest getting a friend to help you check the sag on your bike, and look up how to do it, and what it is supposed to be if you dont know. Not saying you have to fix it before you go, but getting it at least near where it should be will make the bike that much more enjoyable in the long run. Getting the spring rate right is ahead of messing with clickers when it comes to suspension. Clickers are more a fine tune.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

im 100kg without gear and i run 4.8 front springs and 5.8 rear have reoiled and regas rear shock and have put tecknics t valve fork kit in forks.

forks up in clamps to first ring

with stock springs front forks rebound 8 clicks from fully turned in (top of forks)

compression 10 clicks from fully turned in (bottom of forks)

shock 11 clicks out top and bottom

with the right springs for my weight ive gone softer all round

hope this helps