Sign in to follow this  

Question about buying plated YZ426 in Cali

I have an 02 YZ 426 that I don't think I'm ever going to part with.... My question is that I see numerous plated YZ 426s and 400s here in SoCal and I would love to buy one and convert my parts over to the plated frame.

My question is renewing the plated bike, is this an issue since I'm a new owner? I've heard both side that they won't renew and some will? Everyone I've talked to selling the bike says its a non issue but I trust them as far as I could throw them.

What's everyone's experience with this?

Thanks

My 96 XR250 was plated and has changed hands twice in the last 3 years. Couple of buddies have KTM's that have been plated (04 and earlier) and reregistered with no problem.

You should be OK. But even the DMV can't tell you for sure until you try it.

As I know it, if it was plated in 2003 or earlier it is "grandfathered in" 2004 or newer it is hit and miss.

I've heard of people re-registering a 2004 or newer with no problem and some that had the plate revoked.

Transferred owner ship on my plated 2000 WR400 about a year ago at AAA,no problems at all. So long as it says motorcycle on the registration and not off road there wont be a problem. :ride: