Sign in to follow this  

Washington belfair discovery pass ticket :(

alright so as usual with my riding crew... we dont get out much and time is short.

we went to elfindal pass to go dirtbike riding. had not time to pick up a discovery pass. I had planned on/will be purchasing one--as I also own a boat and have been going to sammamish and paying the 10$ day fee at the pay station.

I figured elfindal pass would have a pay location for the day pass. BUT THERE WASNT ONE!

instead of heading home and ruining the chance to ride we stayed and got a ticket.

Anyone have any info on fighting it? Obviously it is legal, but what the hell???? If there is no way for me to pay for a day pass at the site why is it OK for them to ticket me?

99$ is rediculous. I've already payed over 30$ in day pass permits at lake sammamish. Doesn't bother me, and I would have happily paid the 10$ at belfair if there had been a way to pay it!!!!!!!!

Does the D-Pass waive day use fees? I thought the D-Pass was just to be able to park on/access state lands and you still had to pay the usage fee. I am certain that Tod can chime in and explain to us all about what you can do.

Too late now, but for future reference, you can buy one at Belfair state park a few miles from Elphandal next time.

Joe

• Like 1

A D-pass is required to park or operate your street vehicle on State managed recreation land.

If the vehicle is also registered as an ORV and you are at an area where ORV use is legal then that vehicle is exempt even if it has a street plate becuase at that point the street plate is not required.

goto court....see what they say. Be polite, dress proper, and show your recently purchased pass. Report back 👍

• Like 1

If you purchase a Pass before you go to court by law they will reduce the fine.

Thanks for the info guys!

Fighting it had been my plan--ontop of the purchase of the D-Pass I was also planning on bringing the 4 parking receipts I have from the other parks I park at where I can buy a day parking pass(Lake sammamish/lake washington). Don't know if I will make the trek to the courthouse but if I can do it via paper I will. Adding ~20$ in ferry fee's to my cost seems a bit silly if they don't entirely drop it.

I just find it really strange that there is no pay station--if there is no way to pay for day use they should not be ticketing vehicles. If I had blatently ignored a pay station --sure write me a ticket. But if there is no way to actually pay for day use there should be no ticket writing going on.

Any thoughts on how/who/if it would even make a difference; to contact in the legislature regarding this(no pay site no ticketing).

Every other park I have been to--these are state/county/city parks (boat launches) ALL have a pay site. Even if it is just a box you slip your 7-10$ and license plate # into.

Edited by rowlex
  • Like 1

Any thoughts on how/who/if it would even make a difference; to contact in the legislature regarding this(no pay site no ticketing).

Senator Kirk Pearson, chairman of the Senate Natural Resources Committee.

kirk.pearson@leg.wa.gov

Was there a sign telling you where the closest place you have to go to get a Pass is? I would assume they would have to supply that info. Might have a case if they don't???

• Like 2

Hmmmm, the option is provided during vehicle tab renewal to buy a d pass. Been that way for 18 months it seems. Prolly should get one.....

Hmmmm, the option is provided during vehicle tab renewal to buy a d pass. Been that way for 18 months it seems. Prolly should get one.....

What fer?

If you need to park or operate your street plated vehicles at locations where ORV use is legal, why not just dual register and get an ORV permit instead?

From each $30 D-pass, $2.40 goes to the DNR and none must go to ORV recreation.

From each $18 ORV permit, all of it must go to ORV recreation.

DSC09691.jpg

• Like 1

What fer?

If you need to park or operate your street plated vehicles at locations where ORV use is legal, why not just dual register and get an ORV permit instead?

From each $30 D-pass, $2.40 goes to the DNR and none must go to ORV recreation.

From each $18 ORV permit, all of it must go to ORV recreation.

Excellent approach but wife and kids like state parks so I think an orv Honda civic won't cut it there. 👎

Edited by shrubitup

Excellent approach but wife and kids like state parks so I think an orv Honda civic won't cut it there. 👎

Correct

ORV permits are useless at all State Parks except maybe Riverside.

We go to State Parks a couple of times a year, but camp overnight so that makes us exempt then too.

I just find it really strange that there is no pay station--if there is no way to pay for day use they should not be ticketing vehicles. If I had blatently ignored a pay station --sure write me a ticket. But if there is no way to actually pay for day use there should be no ticket writing going on.

There are at least three D-Pass areas that I know of, that don't have anyway to pay for a day-pass. I ride past them everyday on the way to and from work. Signs posted all over the places about a D-Pass being required, but there has never been any pay stations. There was a DNR truck at one of them last week, and I assume he was checking D-Pass's as the parking lot was quite full of folks hiking.

pay stations.

Iron rangers (pay stations) cost money to install and maintain.

If they cost more than they collect that is another dollar of d-pass money down the drain.

Its all a trade-off.

Edited by tod701

Correct

ORV permits are useless at all State Parks except maybe Riverside.

We go to State Parks a couple of times a year, but camp overnight so that makes us exempt then too.

So if you camp at a state park no d pass required? You should be paid as the state d pass TT ombudsman.

• Like 1

Last year a friend called the hotline, paid over the phone, and wrote his day-pass number on a slip of paper. Placed the paper on his dash, no worries. Seemed simple at the time, so I assume it's still an option today.

• Like 1