Sign in to follow this  

Project/ 2nd bike

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a 2nd bike. I'm looking for a late 90s/early 2000s 2-stroke 125. I'm actually explicitly hunting one that needs at least a top end and possibly a bottom end also. I'm doing this because A)I can, B) I need a project and C) I want to learn how to wrench on 2 strokes. I've only ever had 4 stroke bikes. I love my 06 wr250f so I have looked heavily into the yz's. Basically what I need to know is what should I look for on these bikes. Does anyone have a suggestion to a specific bike? Most importantly, does anyone have a rough guess as to what a bike like I described would be worth with a seized motor? $400? $500? $800?

I know it's kind of an odd request but thank you.

Look for a 97 CR 125. One of the best 125's you can get your hands on. You could easily get one for around $400 in non running condition. Maybe even a little less.

I bought a 2002 rm125 for my project bike. It didn't need a new bottom but it did need a new top end. I have $1500 in the bike (including all parts needed to fix and some extras) but it runs awesome.

Really any two stroke 125 around the year 2002 is going to be a good choice. It will cost you around $1000-1200 and after a couple hundred bucks you'll have an awesome bike.