Sign in to follow this  

Washington WA street conversion

I have a quandary I was hopin someone here might b able to assist with. I want to plate my WR which is registered in WA. Unfortunately I am stationed in San Diego and the bike is here. This poses a problem with getting it inspected. After a bit of research it appears there is no actual law/rule stating how the bike has to be inspected just that the inspector has to ensure equipment operates appropriately. With that said I am trying to find a shop that would be willing to work with me to get the declaration form complete without having the bike physically available for them. I would be willing to take to a local shop and have them call and talk with the WA shop and/or take extensive pic's and video or whatever the inspecting shop would require to prove the bike meets all legal requirements. I fully understand if no shop/inspector is willing to put their name on the form without physically seeing the bike but wanted to give it a shot because several of the areas I like to ride down here require a plate on 80-90% of the trails so I am very limited and CA flat doesn't allow converts any longer.

Good luck on getting a shop to sign off your paperwork without having the bike physically present to inspect. If I were doing the inspections and signing the paperwork, I would not even consider doing something like what you are asking a licensed shop to do. If word were to get out that shops were certifying bikes without actually inspecting them, you can bet the state would drop an anvil on them and the rest of us would potentially lose the ability to dual sport our trail machines.

I am guessing that you are in the military and stationed in San Diego? If so, just wait until your next leave and then take the bike to a shop and get it inspected/certified properly.

Edited by USED YZ426F

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much but after seeing on WA DOL website that the law doesn't specify how the inspection must be performed wanted to at least try but doesn't look like it will happen. Hopefully I can get transferred closer to home and get it done then.

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much but after seeing on WA DOL website that the law doesn't specify how the inspection must be performed wanted to at least try but doesn't look like it will happen. Hopefully I can get transferred closer to home and get it done then.

The inspection must verify that the motorcycle complies with the requirements codified in RCW46.61.705(2).

To do it properly that required both inspection and functional testing.

http://apps.leg.wa.g...?cite=46.61.705

The inspection must be done by a licensed motorcycle dealer or repair shop in the State of Washington.

See RCW16A.435(3)(a)

http://apps.leg.wa.g...cite=46.16A.435