Sign in to follow this  

80's Xt 250 problem

Hi all

My Xt has developed eratic running and missing after around half hour of use

Will start at the plug as soon as I can but wondering if anyone might be ale to point me in the right direction?

I realise it must be either spark or fuel, it splutters and misfires and will eventually die when pulled up to lights or when the revs go down

It is 6v

Should I look at the coil, regulator first?

I know it's hard to diagnose problems like this but any pointers would be great

I ran it through the ice and rain all winter and now the suns out I feel a bit cheated that I can't ride in confidence now

JJ

four things you should do off the bat, that are cheap.

1. Drain your gas, and put in new gas. Go with 93 octane. Add a shot of Seafoam to the fuel.

2. clean your carbs

3. change your plug, and make sure to check for proper gap.

4. make sure and check your air filter. Change it if needed.

Try that and post back up if that doesn't work.

Easiest first :

Pull your plug cap off the HT wire . Clip 1/2" off the wire end check the cap where the wire screws in for any corrosion . Clean if needed . If it's a resistor type cap , you could also unscrew the part that the plug clips into ( brass ) and remove the resistor . That's a little bigger than a grain of rice . Replace the resistor with a piece of heavy wire close to the same size as the resistor and put the cap back together .

Then remove the stator cover and insure the pickup coil is as close to the flywheel as possible with it touching the flywheel . While you have the cover off clean and tighten all connections . then go through the entire harness and electrical system checking for any place that might be a short to ground , cleaning and tightening every connection . If any connection is loose or dirty ( that includes all the ground wire to frame connections - good grounds make for good circuits ) , The line resistance grows exponentially . Not good .

I use flammable brake cleaner when cleaning carbs . It cuts crud quickly and leaves no residue . Take your time and be very meticulous . It pays huge dividends .

You could check your coils cold and hot . I'm not sure what your 250 pieces should Ohm out at , but here's the factory recommendations for the XT350 :

XT350ignitionelectrical_zps6d18f302.png

thanks

this is all good

had a sticky float valve and flooded carb on the way to work too

but spark is still intermittent but comes back when i did around the coil area, am guessing a dead coil wouldnt be intermittent so am focussing on wiring right now

having the carb done by a local mech who may have a replacement coil and have ordered an ignition oil also

as the bike is with the mech for the carb i may just get him to do the coil also but will try to ipdate thread with pix asap

am slightly surprised parts for the xt250 are so scarce here in the UK

all thr best

JJ

Bit of an update

Stator rewired

All good

Stator in and fires up all nice with following issues

Seems to be lacking approx 20% power on throttle open up, idles nice though

Did manage to loose the stator half moon key thingy so put in a new one and the stator seems a few turns further out from the plate now, may need to file it off a bit more, would the stator being out from the plate cause this?

Also found the accelerator pump isn't doing anything so will order new diaphragm

If anyone has any. Thoughts

Cheers

JJ