Sign in to follow this  

Riding with metal

So after my wreck I have pins, rods, brackets, and screws in both arms! I'm just wondering what it's like riding with metal in your arms? Does it hurt to fall off? Does riding make it ache? Am I going to mess anything up if I do it wrong? Any input is helpful and very appreciated! Thanks!!

So after my wreck I have pins, rods, brackets, and screws in both arms! I'm just wondering what it's like riding with metal in your arms? Does it hurt to fall off? Does riding make it ache? Am I going to mess anything up if I do it wrong? Any input is helpful and very appreciated! Thanks!!

i was wondering the same thing. i just got my first hardware after 38 years of racing. plate, 8 screws and 2 pins. just got them a week ago.

I'm 7 months post op from a tibal osteotomy that Dr Mark did with two plates and 10 screws and 5 years from a broken clavicle with a plate and 7 screws riding with metal isn't really noticeable for me. Just have to take it easy for a bit until you see how your body is going to react. After the leg work the first time out felt just like as if nothing had been done. But your results may very LOL. just take it easy and see how your body reacts to it.

In my experience, plates on the lateral tibia, lateral femur, foot, and hand, usually are somewhat bothersome and need to come out after the bone is healed. Uncommonly, I find it necessary to remove other pieces of hardware in other places. I guess that means guys are riding and racing without problems.

Edited by DrMark

I have hardware in both ankles, and it does not bother me at all while riding.

My only concern is if I have another wreck like the ones that caused the original injuries...could the plates or screws get out of whack? I can imagine that causing some extreme pain :shocked:

Having fixed a few hundred new fractures, ocurring around a previous metal fracture fixation implant, I haven't found that the repair is so much more difficult that it is worth having asymptomatic hardware removed as a matter of course. Of course if my business is in a downturn, I may have to change my mind, LOL.

I have a rod in my femur. Don't notice it is there. Everything else has been removed so just sore joints and scar tissue to deal with from here on out.

I have a plate and screws on my tibia and it doesn't bother me when I ride but it does after. I had a plate and screws in my femur and it was the same way, they took that out now and it doesn't bother me. Only sometimes because I've broken both tibia/fibula and femur bad before so...

I just broke my tib and fib in a few places. Had rod installed. I'm about four weeks in still not allowed to walk or put any weight on leg yet. I'm nervous but can't wait to get back on bike. But others beg to differ. So I'm little unsure about what to do. Love the sport been doing it for 25 years. I'm 38 and this is my first major injury doing this sport. So I really don't know what to do after I heal. All I knownthisnis a horrible recovery and haven't even started the therapy yet. Only bonus I see I have here is I have a boot or air cast. I can take it off stretch out leg move it so on. Hoping this will help with faster recovery when I can put weight on it. The most problems I'm having is with my knee. They had to move it to install the rod. So it's been really sore since. Also moving it opens the large cut I have from the hardware. That's having a hard time healing. Plus think the staples came out too early tho I'm no dr

I've been wondering the same thing. Had a few pieces of metal put in June 23. Got a while before I'm riding again though ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1376623060.732854.jpg