Sign in to follow this  

is this normal?!?!?!?

I currently own an '08 Yamaha yz250f. After riding for several hours the other day, i put my bike in the garage, came back a few hours later, and noticed a puddle of oil (about the size of my palm) underneath the bike. Although there was no clear dripping, it was obvious that the oil was coming out of the cylinder head breather tube.I live in Saudi Arabia, and am often riding when the outside air temperature is as hot as 45 degrees celsius (the user's manual cautions against riding when it is over 45 degrees). I run the recommended 20w50 oil, and check fluid levels on the bike before every ride.

Does the heat have anything to do with this? Is this the result of an overfilled oil tank or a broken seal?

I have read several other forums on this topic, none of which have given me a definate answer.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

It's normal no worries

I don't think it's normal at all. That breather tube is so blowby has a place to vent. it will vent air with a little oil spray while the bike is running. A puddle after the bike is parked is very unusual. Were it me, I'd inspect quite a bit farther to see if there is another source for the oil leak.

Was it oil or was it a milky looking oil?? Could just be humidity in the breather tube.

It looks dark and coudy

I've had a milky looking oil froth under my bikes breather tube after riding wet snowy conditions. Came on here and did some looking around and came to the understanding it was from moisture. But it may not be the same thing that you are encountering.

-Jeff

I've had a milky looking oil froth under my bikes breather tube after riding wet snowy conditions. Came on here and did some looking around and came to the understanding it was from moisture. But it may not be the same thing that you are encountering.

-Jeff

Not alot of snow around here.. or even water for that matter... anyways, i have heard that a similar problem arisies when you overfill the bike with oil. Could this be damaging the bike?

I have seen Kawasaki bikes barf all over the floor, but never a yami. Better make sure you dont have too much oil in it. A few drips is ok, a puddle means you got too much oil in it, or serious blow by.

Not alot of snow around here.. or even water for that matter... anyways, i have heard that a similar problem arisies when you overfill the bike with oil. Could this be damaging the bike?

It is putting more pressure on seals etc. but the main thing that you will notice is the oil drips out the breather tube (leaving a small puddle on the ground). It can also be hard to start until warm.

A little bit of whitish oil at the breather tube is normal (as long as it is not in your tank) as condensation does mix with the oil that is left inside the breather tube. A slight drip when going flat out for a long period IS normal but enough to make a puddle on the ground IS NOT normal.

If it is not overfull then maybe the valves are not sealing correctly or it is piston/rings blow-by .

Edited by Barra8