Sign in to follow this  

Chinese pit bike would not eletric start

I bought a used Chinese pit bike for my 8 year old son and it has worked great but he has difficulty kick starting it because he is so little and light. The bike has a electric starting system but I wanted to avoid him using it because i want him to grow up to be a man. I think it is bad idea to be reliant on a E-starter, i don't want him to be out deep on a trail and not know the correct feel and procedures for kick starting a bike. He has given the old college try but he is just not strong or heavy enough. So I decided to hook up the electric start. Installed battery, nothing. No turning over, no clicking, no nothing. I checked the battery terminal for +&-, the fuse, and all the connection, everything seemed clean and had a good connection. Using a piece of wire i jumped the pos. terminal to the starter directly and it turned over and wanted to start. (Would not because gas tank was removed). Starter good check. Using a screw driver i jumped the starter solenoid the two large terminals together. It caused a spark and caused the engine to turn over. Solenoid good check. Now i just started following the small hot wire out, starting at the pos. terminal. Fuse good,connector good on both side. Next hot was going into the ignition switch but not coming out. After very close inspection i found the culprit. The black wire solder point were the power should be coming back out and to the starter button was broke. The solder points underneath the ignition(key) switch are delicate and not protected from the environment. So all i did was splice the red and black wire together. Now the starter button is always hot an the engine will turn over without the key being on but it will not start because the ignition system is not on unless the key is turned to the on position. I hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

This is very helpful I need to try this cause mine tries to turn but the throttle keeps getting stuck inside the carb. Any ideas how to fix that, and I'm going to check all wires.

The throttle is one of the weakest components. Remove the two screws on the throttle handle, verify the cable is routed correctly. Verify the handle is positioned correctly, there should be a medal stud that inserts into a hole in the bars. Remove cable from carb, by unscrewing the cap on top of the carb. Spray contact/brake cleaner in the carb. Spray the needle at the end of the cable with contact cleaner. Verify it is not bent. Spray cleaner through the cable. Allow it to dry or shoot compressed air through the cable then spray lubricant through the cable. Do not use wd40. Chain wax works well. Reinstall should be good to go.