Sign in to follow this  

2002 Yamaha TT-R 225 Trouble Again.

Got the bike from a guy for cheap, with the problem of it burning oil extremely bad. Replaced the Valve guides, valve seals, readjusted to factory settings on the valves, put a new piston, and set of rings in. Gave it a good break in ran great, but had this odd noise. 2 days later started burning oil again. ripped it back down diagnosed the noise as piston slap. took the cylinder to a local engine machine shop, they told me, and showed me in fact it was .008 out of round and had a .006 taper from top to bottom. had do a .02 over bore on it, ordered my over bored piston, assembled it all back together, and now it runs bad and still has that same noise. I replaced the timing chain, and the tensioner sense then also. I don't know what else to do, i have it listed on craigslist right now, but its not burning oil or anything right now. A cheap project is turning in to a bottomless pit of money.

The noise is like a rattle, thought it was the piston slap unless somehow the piston is still slapping. If my internet was so slow here at work i would give you the link to a video on youtube I have. its just a loud rattle it doesn't stop as the bike gets warm or nothing. Adjusting with the timing chain tensioner doesn't change how it sounds or how loud it is.

Got to fiddling around with it again today, it only seems to run bad when its warmed up. I didn't notice it before cause i was taking it easy during the break in process.

Unless you have a manual cam chain tensioner, your auto cam chain tensioner is not adjustable.

The only things it can be is-

Rings not correctly positioned (seated) or ring gap not set right

Cylinder barrel out of round (I would expect a bike shop to be able to do this correctly, so maybe not)

Valve stem seals (highly unlikely as it will usually smoke when started cold and stop or decrease smoking)

The noise that you hear could be-

The big end bearing (crankshaft/ conrod bearing)

Cam chain too loose or defective guides, cam chain sprockets/cogs, tensioner

Stator bolt or other came loose and is rattling

Main bearings (crankcase) but this would not be so likely as they are quite robust

And more...

Get a piece of garden hose long enough to use as a stethoscope and hold one side of the hose up to your ear and the other to where it sounds like it is coming from.