What is your all time favourite dirt bike and why?

Here's a snapshot of my bikes and the timeframes in which I owned them.

1987 CR 80--from 1996 - 1998

1995 KDX 200--from 2003 - 2004

1999 CR 500 (SoCal desert riding/racing)--from 2004 - 2007

2006 Gas Gas 300 DE (enduro racing)--from 2007 - 2010

2011 KTM 300 XC-W--from 2010 - current

My current KTM is obviously the best bike I have ever owned, no questions asked--otherwise I would still own the previous bikes. At the time of ownership, which bike did I enjoy the most? Hindsight is always 20:20, so I won't speak from my current perspective on which bike is the best because that's obvious.

I had the most fun on the CR 500 for several reasons. I was 18 years old when I bought it, and it was hard to save up the cash for that bike (not to mention things like a $400.00 steering stabilizer, very necessary in the dez). You appreciate things that you work hard to get. Also riding was so exciting because I was entering adulthood and could make my own decisions, and the adrenalin pumping high speeds of the desert still give me a rush to think about. Also it was SoCal, more riding in one OHV area there than the entire riding acreage in Texas combined!!

So again, at the time, I had the most fun on my early 90s techology CR 500. Had a blast on that thing.

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

I am going to join Offroad Pain and add another vote for a CR 500. I had a 1994 and I had a lot of fun on that bike. MX'd on it a couple times, rode a couple of hare scrambles on it, but mostly just trail rode it. You definitely learned throttle control and to cover the clutch when riding that bike. It is the only bike I have ever ridden that you could be poking along in 5th gear and just grab a big handful of throttle and it would either spin the shit out of the back tire or the front end would just snap right up depending on traction. Honda reliable, simple two stroke maintenance and no power valve to mess with. A little bit heavy for really tight woods, but I didn't mind it too much. A friend let me ride his 2011 KTM 300 a few weeks ago and I could see how that could be my new favorite as soon as I get my CRF 450 sold...

• Like 2

another vote for the CR500..for the bike and the times..bought my first CR500 in 1985 brand new,saved up all summer framing houses with my uncle..a whole whopping 2500 bucks is what it cost me..and I rode it home..Another one that stands out is my 95 KX250..fit me like a glove and had great low-mid bark

• Like 1

One of my favorite bikes was my Suzuki DS80, it was my first bike and it was an amazing machine. But hands down favorite for me is my 2005 KTM 250 exc. Owned pretty much every brand 2t there is and this has to be the best i've owned by far. The pre-2000 Kx's and CR's are a close second.

Edited by Dunno207

My favorite bike was my 1988 KX125, I was 22, I bought it brand new, and went from a novice mid-rear pack finisher to top 10 finisher in one season. That bike was just amazing, excellent broad power, fantastic brakes, awesome suspension, and rock reliable.

Cr500 & fully modded ktm250exc.. toss up.

Cr500 was awesome all around.

But the KTM revved out like a 125 and handling was better in woods.

My 95 KTM 440 is a close third just haven't had enough seat time yet to rate it. Power is there, handling is good, so it might be the perfect compromise...