Sign in to follow this  

Drz400e parts worth upgrading to?

Never really thought about it til now but would it be worth paying 100 for the exhaust and 300 for the fcr carb off of one?

Fitment issues?

How does the e pipe flow compared to the aftermarket pipes?

Is the fcr on the e the same as one you'd buy aftermarket?

I'd assume if I got the exhaust and carb from one I really shouldn't have to mess with jetting it.

What do you guys think? If I can save hundreds of dollars and only really loose out on 1-2 HP that I could make up for with cams then I'd much rather go that route

The E pipe is the same diameter as the FMF aftermarket pipe and it flows better on top. The E header pipe fits the S fine, but the E muffler has mounting issues. You can easily get the stock S muffler / pipe connection widened at a muffler shop so that it fits the E header pipe though. There is a thread on here about it. Or, you could use an aftermarket E slip on.

The FCR on the E model is different from the ones that TT and Epic sell. It functions very similarly and yields more power than the stock carb, but the aftermarket FCR-MX is the best option. You would do better to buy a new FCR-MX than to spend the money on a used one with who knows what kind of issues. Ask me how I know... :foul: If you do end up getting a used FCR from an E, make sure that you get the carb to engine connector/clamps as well as the air boot and clamps. You will also want to get a vacuum nipple so that you can run your stock S petcock. You may need the stock E throttle cables as well. You don't need them when fitting the FCR-MX. By the time you are done trying to fit the E carb, you will be close in money to what you would have spent for the kit from TT.

The cams will not make anywhere near the difference that the FCR does.

would it be worth paying 100 for the E exhaust-----No. Used E exhaust can be found cheaper

and 300 for the E fcr carb off of one?-------Yes, if it is any good. Buying used FCR's is a crap shoot.

Fitment issues?----None

How does the e pipe flow compared to the aftermarket pipes? ------Not bad for a relatively quiet pipe.

Is the fcr on the e the same as one you'd aftermarket? ------No. I think most any current aftermarket FCR os going to be the later mx version.

I'd assume if I got the exhaust and carb from one I really shouldn't have to mess with jetting it. -------Doubtful. Unless you are buying a properly set up carb/pipe from exactly the same set up motorcycle in your same location, you can plan on doing sone re-jetting.

What do you guys think? If I can save hundreds of dollars and only really loose out on 1-2 HP that I could make up for with cams then I'd much rather go that route ------Don't understand this line of reasoning??? Carb, pipe, cams, compression all go hand in hand. Buy good stuff and be happier than piecemeal old used parts.

Edited by Noble

would it be worth paying 100 for the E exhaust-----No. Used E exhaust can be found cheaper

and 300 for the E fcr carb off of one?-------Yes, if it is any good. Buying used FCR's is a crap shoot.

Fitment issues?----None

How does the e pipe flow compared to the aftermarket pipes? ------Not bad for a relatively quiet pipe.

Is the fcr on the e the same as one you'd aftermarket? ------No. I think most any current aftermarket FCR os going to be the later mx version.

I'd assume if I got the exhaust and carb from one I really shouldn't have to mess with jetting it. -------Doubtful. Unless you are buying a properly set up carb/pipe from exactly the same set up motorcycle in your same location, you can plan on doing sone re-jetting.

What do you guys think? If I can save hundreds of dollars and only really loose out on 1-2 HP that I could make up for with cams then I'd much rather go that route ------Don't understand this line of reasoning??? Carb, pipe, cams, compression all go hand in hand. Buy good stuff and be happier than piecemeal old used parts.

Was just meaning I could get more HP for the money. Instead of spending 1000 on the carb and exhaust I could spend 1000 or less on exhaust carb and cams.

But i see your point. Coming to the conclusion that cheap HP is the bigfoot in the world of drz