Sign in to follow this  

2012 450x, what cam for upgrade?

Hi all. We raced the Baja 500 this year, and are looking for a little more power. Can anyone give me information on what cam would be best suited for that. Possibly a part number from a 450R cam? We have done all the mods that have been disscused on here including full FMF exhaust system, but the riders still want some more horsepower. BTW, podium finish in the pro class. Thanks, Dave.

Hi all. We raced the Baja 500 this year, and are looking for a little more power. Can anyone give me information on what cam would be best suited for that. Possibly a part number from a 450R cam? We have done all the mods that have been disscused on here including full FMF exhaust system, but the riders still want some more horsepower. BTW, podium finish in the pro class. Thanks, Dave.

3rd in Class 30, while not Open Pro, is still BADASS.

The 02 R cam is the cam of choice for most engine builders in the desert world. You will have to source (either new or used) the decompressor assembly from a 2007 or earlier X or 2006 and earlier R. The cost new is high.

The other option is to run the 2008 R cam. That will drop in but won't make as much power. Don't forget, a port and polish will add significantly to the power and response when adding either cam.

• Like 1

That 08 cam sounds interesting for a drop in replacement, I looked around and its only $150ish or so. How much power difference are we talking between the 2012x cam and the 08R cam?

Rich

Thanks for the help. I just ordered that 02 cam from my dealer. I asked the mechanice there about the decompression assembly for that cam on on our bike, and he said it will fit right in. he said he part number on the 02 and 12 is the same. The cam part number is 11410-men-670. Is he missing something. Also your right, class 30, not open pro, I should have been more clear on that.

Edited by dave rabjohn

Thanks for the help. I just ordered that 02 cam from my dealer. I asked the mechanice there about the decompression assembly for that cam on on our bike, and he said it will fit right in. he said he part number on the 02 and 12 is the same. The cam part number is 11410-men-670. Is he missing something. Also your right, class 30, not open pro, I should have been more clear on that.

If the cam you currently have in there is a stock 2012 X cam then no it will not swap over. The later model X's used an internal pin decompressor. The early ones had the decompressor on the end opposite the gear.

The cam carrier is the same...2012 & 2002 but you will need the de-comp assembly from an older x 2005-2007 For me, i'd just drop in an 2008 R cam. Direct swap and great power with an FMF Mega-Bomb header w/FMF exhaust... Factory 4.1, Powercore or Q4.

OK, you guys are right about the 02 cam. It will not work as you said. My son talked to JCR, and they said they use the 08 cam, that they liked the power output of that cam better, so called back our dealer and ordered the 08 cam instead. Again, thanks for your help, Dave.

OK, you guys are right about the 02 cam. It will not work as you said. My son talked to JCR, and they said they use the 08 cam, that they liked the power output of that cam better, so called back our dealer and ordered the 08 cam instead. Again, thanks for your help, Dave.

Let us know what you think after you get it. I ordered one last night as well but I wont have the time to put it in for a few weeks.

Thanks!

Rich

Let us know what you think after you get it. I ordered one last night as well but I wont have the time to put it in for a few weeks.

Thanks!

Rich

It's a great increase over stock...not as powerful as the 02, but well worth the time and money. We use them all the time...