What do you think happened?

My brothers friend has a 2001 honda crf 100 with a locked up kick starter. So the first thing you would think is a seizure of the crank right? Well i decided to take a look the other day and i pulled the clutch cover off and inspected everything. There was a considerable amount of metal slivers and shavings. But here is the weird part, i could grab the clutch basket and turn the engine over by hand, i could hear and feel the piston moving, but as soon as it reached a certain point it locks up and wont go past that point, but i can rotate it back and it hits another point and stops. I don't think its seized but something defiantly doesn't seem right. I talked to the kids dad and he said that he was kicking it over fine the night before and thought it had a dirty carburetor. Then the next day the kid called me down to clean the carburetor for him. But when i showed up he said the kick starter was locked up. What i think happened is he grew impatient and tried to bump start his bike and kick start it at the same time. Im curious to see what other people think, and see if anyone knows what might have happened to the engine. Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

Prob messed up some of the teeth on the gears that are between the kicker and clutch. Can you verify that all the teeth are there and look fine on the gears between the kicker and the clutch? My best guess would be when he was kicking it or bump starting it he broke some teeth off one of the gears and its jammed in one of the gears so you can turn it one way till you hit it then go back around till you hit that spot again on the gear the other way.

If you are able to rotate the crank back and forth, but not all the way around, you could have a valve problem or a foreign object in the cylinder. The piston would contact the valve / object (end of a spark plug, carburetor ferrule, valve that has dropped, etc) and prevent it from making a complete cycle either direction.

I was thinking that too but he said there is metal in the engine. But could be a bent valve and popped a hole in the piston. And it's pieces of piston ,especially since he can rotate the engine by turning the clutch basket. Have to tear it open to know for sure

If you are able to rotate the crank back and forth, but not all the way around, you could have a valve problem or a foreign object in the cylinder. The piston would contact the valve / object (end of a spark plug, carburetor ferrule, valve that has dropped, etc) and prevent it from making a complete cycle either direction.

Would you be so kind as to post a picture of a "carburetor ferrule". That is a term/item I've never heard of.

Edited by ohio rusty spokes

Would you be so kind as to post a picture of a "carburetor ferrule". That is a term/item I've never heard of.

"Ferrule" is a generic term referring to a fitting, though most commonly a compression type fitting used with a line of some sort. Perhaps not the 'most correct' choice of verbage but it gets the point across. I actually recently (within the last 3 weeks) had a brass vent fitting vibrate out of the intake side of the carburetor on my resto-mod 1977 ATC70 and get sucked into the engine, bending the exhaust valve when it got smacked by the piston. I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home tomorrow.