Sign in to follow this  

Kx450f valve cover gasket

Hello guys, just picked up a 2007 kx450f with 2 hours on fresh motor. Wanted to check the valves just in case before tearing up trails, and when I put cover back on it started leaking from the half moon gasket. Is it best to use a fresh gasket every valve check/adjustment? The gasket looked perfect to me I don't understand why it wouldn't seal up. Any tricks to this? Also the torque for the three bolts is 10lb correct?

The Half moons are supposed to have sealer on the lower edge of the round part.

You can use any RTV that holds up under high temps. I use Permatex orange just because I always have some laying around from car projects. Just put a thin bead around the half moons, nowhere else needs it.

I checked my valves 3 or 4 times without replacing the gasket as long as I didn't disturb the half moons. Gaskets are about $15 so I try to make them last.

87 in lbs if I recall but I never actually use a torque wrench on the valve cover.

Edited by Kroynon

usually you'll strip the threads in the cam cap before that happens

Well I can guarantee you the cover snapped and a crack appeared above one of the bolts. I have all the new parts just want to do it right

wow didnt know that was on a kx. I figured those magnesium covers were pretty strong

Even the new gaskets leak if you dont use sealent on them.

Use the smallest spanner you have and dont use too much force to tighten it down.

The rubber seals under the bolt heads eventually permanently compress a little. So the cover can be loose even when the bolts are wound down till they bottom out. Just something to look out for.