Sign in to follow this  

'82 XL500R Carb Issue...

Ok, I totally tore down my carb with the intention of cleaning it and doing a complete rebuild because of an overheating issue... It's a Keihin PD 77A...

Well anyways, after getting a little too motivated after a couple of beers, I tried to remove what I now think was a pressed in part... Can anyone tell me what it's called, what it is, whether I need it or not, where to get one, how to go about getting it fixed up or is this thing now a paperweight??

The thing I removed is brass and goes from the bottom up inside...

XL500R-Carb-01.jpg

And here's the hole it was in looking at it from the bottom...

XL500R-Carb-02.jpg

Any help is appreciated... Thanks

If it can be replaced, consider taking this a competent mechanic. An hour or 1.5 spent on a wrench that knows what he's doing versus INNUMERABLE hours spent learning by doing IF you get it together and functioning correctly.

Sometimes the cheapest thing to do is take it to someone that knows what they are doing. (NOT a dealership, check craigslist for "retired ex mechanics' working out of their garage.

Email or try to call or visit to talk about their experience before you take a bike there. Even better if you can see their shop,

You can tell when a guy knows his way around bikes.

My guy (found that way) is a local engine builder/drag racer (bikes), and he charges $15hr

• Like 1

Looking at a parts dia., looks to be the mixture circuit.The brass part shouldn't need to be removed to clean/clear the passages

for clean the carb. Part 5.

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2784487&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1982&fveh=137317

Looking at a parts dia., looks to be the mixture circuit.The brass part shouldn't need to be removed to clean/clear the passages

for cleaning the carb. Part 5.

http://www.ronniesma...982&fveh=137317

Unfortunately it's already totally removed and destroyed... So leaving it alone and unmolested isn't an option at this point in time... :bonk:

That leaves you with junk yards or ebay as you know. Make sure you have the full model number when you start

your search. Also what years that interchange.