Sign in to follow this  

mcct video adjust

hi,

so judging from the vid and pics below, can you guestimate that I adjusted the mcct correctly and that the timing chain still has some life in it?

engine was cold, outside ambient 85 degrees F

mcct1.jpg

insphole.jpg

IMG_0113a.JPG

IMG_0110a.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

Edited by daveyedgar
  • Like 1

From the video, no. Your 1/5th back and forth turn isn't producing a different result from what I can hear. I found that I had to turn mine in until the tension was pretty strong. I had to have the front nut up against the MCCT to hold that tension and keep it from backing out while I made fine tune adjustments. This was on a new cam chain and when the engine was HOT. I thought I adjusted it properly but could clearly hear the bb's in a tin can sound in 2nd gear after a ride, so I had to turn it in another 1/4 turn from there.

Back it out until you hear that rattle or loud tick and turn it in until it goes away. As soon as it goes away STOP. Tighten it up and go ride.

Edited by Bluelunatic

From the video, no. Your 1/5th back and forth turn isn't producing a different result from what I can hear. I found that I had to turn mine in until the tension was pretty strong. I had to have the front nut up against the MCCT to hold that tension and keep it from backing out while I made fine tune adjustments. This was on a new cam chain and when the engine was HOT. I thought I adjusted it properly but could clearly hear the bb's in a tin can sound in 2nd gear after a ride, so I had to turn it in another 1/4 turn from there.

Back it out until you hear that rattle or loud tick and turn it in until it goes away. As soon as it goes away STOP. Tighten it up and go ride.

thanks 🙂

sorry for the quality of the video. maybe i'll post the full version, cuz i backed it off and heard a rattle, backed it off further until i got the marbles in coffee can racket - pretty unmistakable.

so i turned it in till the racket sound stopped and got a softer rattle and turned it until that soft rattle disappeared and left it there.

the other forums that i read said you can adjust it cold or hot it didn't matter so I adjusted mine cold.

basically i followed fragmasterkarl's video

Edited by daveyedgar

basically i followed fragmasterkarl's video

That might have been your problem. From his videos, it doesn't seem like fragmasterkarl knows much about working on his bike. I always hear him say how he takes his bike to a local shop to have anything done.