'82 XL500R Replacement Carb Options?

After digging all through the board I found a spattering of several very brief mentions of different alternatives to using the OEM carb because of either the overheating issue, emissions or project bikes, but there isn't anything specific that I could find...

Does anyone have any details on which make/model bikes carbs will swap into the '82 XL500R with little no trouble and either work fine or make it run better??

Or have a specific make/model carb that will work without doing a major overhaul of cables and fittings to get it in??

Or any details on all the pain and heartache of doing it??

I'm dying to get this bad boy back on the road, so let's hear what you guys got...

Again, thanks for any input...

I have a round slide Mikuni on my 1980 XR500 that White Bros sold as a kit w/ a K&N clamp on filter that works well and should work on yours also. I think the carb is more for a 2 stroke because it has an air screw rather than a fuel screw but it works. I put a Uni foam filter around the K&N that I run dry to trap some of the dust. You could consult Sudco to see what they can do for you!

Not what you're looking for, but might be what you need.
Problem with old bikes is there's so few left and "most" guys that have old bikes seem to want to keep them stock , so not a lot of experimenting with other carbs and such like newer bikes with thousands of current owners.
As noted, Sudco might be able to offer alternatives, but doubtful that anything is going to be "plug and play" easy and or improve performance simply. Throttle cables and jetting to figure out too.
Guess it depends on what you mean by "easy".

If you can install and jet the carb, then no problem.
If you aren't mechanical, this is NOT where you want to start learning. ?

That carb is filthy, bet large jets are plugged. Might just need a cleaning if you can get that part back in you took out.
Consult a manual before taking anything apart. ? Edited by MindBlower

I didn't mention that I have the factory service manual with the "r" update even and totally fuzzed over the fact it didn't mention that part... Here I thought I'd be more thorough than Honda, bad idea I guess... That shiney slotted top sitting all proud down that little hole was just too tempting to not try... Just like putting Methylene Chloride in the ultrasonic parts cleaner to speed along the cleaning process too... only to melt the top half of it while proving sometimes following the directions can be a good thing...

Yes, I deserve to be smacked on this one... twice probably...

At least buying another carb (if it can't be fixed) should be cheap. Or you could look at upgrading to a pumper carb or something else that would be a real noticeable improvement, but of course cost more.

Have no idea about compatability physically, but I have a very clean stock 03 XR400 carb (my bike, rejetted to Uni filter, opened exhaust specs, so likely close to what you have) after I put a Mikuni TM40 pumper carb in it. If it could be made to work (you'd have to find out) I'd sell it to you for $75 (was going to list it for $125).

Edited by MindBlower