Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Slipping On kx125

Alright guys, I need some help from you clutch experts. So I had my carburetor pulled off to install new reeds a few days ago, and after installing them I noticed my clutch slipping. (I think that's what it's doing? It engages if you barely touch the lever and it doesn't let out smoothly. It tries to grab and there have been several times that I tried to feather the clutch out of turns and ended up laying the bike over because it's almost like hitting false neutral.) I thought that I had just bumped the bottom adjustments while removing the carburetor, but I now think that it's just a coincidence. My questions are, can someone please help me figure out what's causing this, and if I need to rebuild the clutch, will it hurt the bike to keep riding it like this for a little while until I have the money?

Depending on how bad it is, you may get away with filing the the grooves down a bit. It's only a band-aid fix but will need to be replaced soon. If it is a grooved basket and not a warped plate, which is also a good possibility, it can break a friction plate. Then your screwed. Clutch will grenade, possibly take out more parts and you'll have bits-n-pieces all through the trans.

I think either Jeekinz or Bansheedave had a thread on filing the grooves, a while back.

So could I just buy a Barnett Clutch Kit and that will have everything that I need to fix it? I definitely don't want to cause any more damage!

Take it apart and look at it before spending any money!

Your service manual explains how to check for warped clutch discs and you can visually see if there's any notching on the basket/hub. check your cable too.

Edited by Jeekinz
  • Like 1

Take it apart and look at it before spending any money!

Your service manual explains how to check for warped clutch discs and you can visually see if there's any notching on the basket/hub. check your cable too.

Alright, I'll try and to tear it down ASAP to get a look at it. What about the cable? Like what do I look for?

Alright guys, so I tried to inspect my clutch and have a problem. I removed the cover, then I went to remove the bolts holding the springs, but I can't remove them. The entire assembly just spins when I try to loosen them. As if the gears are not catching? Thinking it may be due to the bike being in neutral, I popped it in to first anImageUploadedByThumper Talk1373596650.816781.jpgd tried again with the same results.

If you remove the other case, you can put a penny between the clutch gear & primary gear or....

28pressureplateboltsandsprings.jpg

I'll have to try that. Is it bad that it just spins? I watched a video first and his didn't do that.

Can't you put it in gear and hold the brake?

I did not think about that. I only tried to put it in gear. Is it normal for it to spin like that?

Yes. You're spinning the clutch, the engine and trans move with it.

Okay, I was getting really worried! I'll have to look at it again tomorrow.