Sign in to follow this  

tank slapper issue

i have an 06 rm125 that i am having alot of tank slap while riding ny friend told me it is just a suzuki thing but i dont think that is the case...

I put new steering bearings in it and that didnt really help so i tryed raising the back end with the ajusment that i still had and that kinda helped then i raised the forks in the tree and it helped alittle but i still have the issue.. I wiegh about 135 and the bike has after market suspension for my size rider. the only otherthing i can think of to do is put i stiffer rear spring in it to keep it from squating as bad which causes it to get light in the front the ending with a tank slap!!! i curently have a red spring im guessing they mesure the stiffness in color so whats the kg/mm for a red spring.. or the question is will it solve my problem?????

If you lower/increase the rear sag, and/or lower the forks in the triple clamps(less fork above the clamp pinch bolts) and you are still getting head shake on fast straights, you might need a steering damper to stabilize the chassis. All of this will compromise its turning ability. I personally never had this issue on Suzuki's but others might have. I hope this helps, be aware that the better a bike turns the more likely it is to suffer from head shake at high speeds. Suzuki is known for good turning abilities. This is a compromise between stability vs aggressiveness.

The red shock spring doesn't mean too much. Some manufactures make all there springs a certain color. U need to find a part number on the spring or remove it from the shock and have it tested at a suspension shop

The red shock spring doesn't mean too much. Some manufactures make all there springs a certain color. U need to find a part number on the spring or remove it from the shock and have it tested at a suspension shop

frequently the spring rate/weight is written on the flat part of the last coil, if it's not stock that is. you normally have to pull the spring from the shock to see it.