Sign in to follow this  

Is 650L motor different size than XR600?

Or will they both work in the same frame? I've had both but never paid attention then. I've got an 85 XR350 that I've put way too much time and money into to ever sell.

But I worry about it because it's got an un-rebuildable bottom end and what would I do if the motor puked.

The bike shares most/all(?) chassis components with the 85-87 XR600 (assuming I could use any year motor), and 650L parts fit on much of it. So just thinking about options down the road and building a nice motor might be in the cards.

Be nice if I could add E start if I'm bothering. 🙂

Edited by MindBlower

XR/XL/XRL 600/650 motors all interchange,,They won't fit in a 350 frame though..I purchased a frame that was advertised as an XR600 frame..looked the same to me and I just trusted the sellers word/knowledge..Got her home and then discovered it was a 350..vin tag id'd it,,I attempted the fit of an XR600 motor and it was good for length width etc but was too tall for the 350 frame,,on sold it or took it to the metal recyclers,,can't recall what..

Ps,,see what you're thinking,,sort of misread the question.. Would the XRL motor be slightly shorter,,ie,,not as tall,,I don't think so but couldn't be 100%,,somehow doubt it though as all the heads etc interchange between the 600s and 650L..

Edited by Horri

XR/XL/XRL 600/650 motors all interchange,,They won't fit in a 350 frame though..I purchased a frame that was advertised as an XR600 frame..looked the same to me and I just trusted the sellers word/knowledge..Got her home and then discovered it was a 350..vin tag id'd it,,I attempted the fit of an XR600 motor and it was good for length width etc but was too tall for the 350 frame,,on sold it or took it to the metal recyclers,,can't recall what..

Ps,,see what you're thinking,,sort of misread the question.. Would the XRL motor be slightly shorter,,ie,,not as tall,,I don't think so but couldn't be 100%,,somehow doubt it though as all the heads etc interchange between the 600s and 650L..

Nope, not what I was thinking. Don't need a shorter or smaller, just NOT bigger. 😉

What year was the frame. 83-84 350 shared components with the 500. I85 was a major remodel of the 350 and the first year 600.

The 85 had a longer frame, swingarm, wheelbase, etc etc etc Huge amount of changes and a bigger bike.

Edited by MindBlower

I couldn't be sure what year it was MindBlower,,I suspect early twin carb,,Frame was a bit rough so all I can assume is it was oldish..Not too many bits of any consequence in the way of sidecovers/tank/airbox to give any hint,,just a frame and a couple of moth eaten wheels..,,disc front ,,drum rear..Rear was had it,,might have kept the front for a spare for the 600s..All since gone,,Kept some of my spares (rebored 600 bore plus wiseco piston and rings to match,,clutch baskets plus new plates) but wheels, engine casings, gearboxes, all sorts of stuff went west in a big sell off..Change of circumstances so it had to go..

Edited by Horri

For the dimensions you're concerned about, I think the big 6 engines are the same. The XRL has the starter motor, but in a spot that probably wouldn't be a problem. I think its stator cover is also a little wider outward, but that wouldn't be a problem.

The mounting points are the same for all 83/84 XR500, 83-87 XL600, 85 up XR600, NX650 and 93 up XR650L

• Like 1

The mounting points are the same for all 83/84 XR500, 83-87 XL600, 85 up XR600, NX650 and 93 up XR650L

even better! thank you!

Wouldnt it be great if we could get one of Honda's chief engineers on this forum, who could just tell us everything and anything about compatibility between bikes?

Wouldnt it be great if we could get one of Honda's chief engineers on this forum, who could just tell us everything and anything about compatibility between bikes?

Probably no such individual exists. They would be able to look it up though.

Probably no such individual exists. They would be able to look it up though.

Even better!

For the dimensions you're concerned about, I think the big 6 engines are the same. The XRL has the starter motor, but in a spot that probably wouldn't be a problem. I think its stator cover is also a little wider outward, but that wouldn't be a problem.

So what your saying is you could install a newer 650 with the electric starter in an 86 XR600R frame? 

So what your saying is you could install a newer 650 with the electric starter in an 86 XR600R frame? 

LOL........yeah it would bolt in,,,,,,,,but that`s where the similarity ends,,the XR600 has a totally different electrical system,it has an AC voltage CDI and barely enough current left to run a low wattage light,..

You`d have to scab on a XR659L wiring harness,DC CDI..battery.........

Then you`d have the hard part left,lol.......the older XR600 if it had twin carbs......had a different shock arranmgement,a single carb head won`t work..

Can be done,but would it be worth it is the question..

B

LOL........yeah it would bolt in,,,,,,,,but that`s where the similarity ends,,the XR600 has a totally different electrical system,it has an AC voltage CDI and barely enough current left to run a low wattage light,..

You`d have to scab on a XR659L wiring harness,DC CDI..battery.........

Then you`d have the hard part left,lol.......the older XR600 if it had twin carbs......had a different shock arranmgement,a single carb head won`t work..

Can be done,but would it be worth it is the question..

B

Lol is right. Yes I've already thought it wouldn't be worth all the work going in when you can buy a complete running bike, which is what I would do.