Sign in to follow this  

I can't release the rear brake after accidentally pumping it with the rear wheel off :(

Hi, I feel so stupid!! I have a yz125 2009. I removed the rear wheel and before I put it back on, accidentally pumped the rear brake. This pushed in the rear master cylinder in, pushing the brake shoes together. Now I can't get enough space between the brake shoes to slide my rear wheel on.

I've tried pushing the master cylinder in with a screw driver, but it won't budge. I've also tried removing the reservoir cap. I don't have much experience!! Any ideas? 🙄

You need to pry the brake pads apart with a large screw driver. It will push tye fluid back into the master cylinder. Takes some effort, but will do no harm.

I've been trying this, but yeah, I've been worried about damaging it. Okay, I'll try a bit more force! 🙂 Thank you.

Edited by sidewaysnick

When you pry the pads apart with the screwdriver, try to avoid prying on the friction surfaces as you will damage them (gouges) and that can lead to less braking power if severe enough.

Thanks for your help, this did the trick! I used my largest flat head screw driver, which is quite big, and a plastic hammer to force the pads apart by hammering the driver between them. I also tried using the screw driver like a leaver, but didn't have much success and seemed to be causing more harm than good. The hammer technique seems to work better. Thanks again!! :ride: