Sign in to follow this  

Dune Riding

After recently purchasing a trailer, i am now looking to ride on sand dunes near my house. I am completely in the dark about how i need to set up my bike, what gear i need to wear, what i should bring with me in terms of food, water, and gas, ect....

I apologize if my request may sound somewhat demanding, but i have no idea where to start in terms of questions. If any experienced sand dune/desert riders could lend advice and insight, it would be much appreciated.

By the way... I will be riding an '08 yamaha yz250f.

Get a 8 paddle kings turbo paddle, if you can't find one the skat track 8 paddle is good. octane booster helps but you don't really need it. and you need a flag.

The gear you should bring depends on what you have and how confident you are you aren't going to get nailed by a sand rail going 65 mph over a dune.  I wear full gear (helmet 👍 , goggles, gloves, short sleeve shirt, long riding pants, neck brace, chest protector, and boots). You need a really good pair of boots, 2 weekends ago I went to the dunes and had a decent pair of boots and the peg went right through them, left a huge gash in my foot to the bone, I've been out of doing like anything physical since  :banghead:  so find a good pair of boots. 

Food depends on you and how long you are going to stay. I drink 3 liters in roughly 5-6 hours on a cool day, if it is going to be hot you need a lot more.

One tip for the dunes I can give you don't go alone, I've been injured almost everytime I go out to the dunes or one of our bikes fails on us. another tip don't go flying over a dune when you don't know what is on the other side. You never know if someone is on the other side coming up or it is a drop off and you fall to a sudden concusion :naughty: