Sign in to follow this  

SM or E

Hi all, I am currently looking into getting a drz sm. I have found a couple locally, one is a 2009 sm for $4200 and the other is a 2001 E that has been converted to a sm for $4000. Which one would be the better choice? I've heard that the E has a little power. What should I look out for on one that has been converted vs the factory sm. Thanks a bunch for any input on this.

well what does the E have with it for that price? I had my 02 S model listed for 4k with dirt and SM parts and mine has a bunch of extras on it.

The E model was 25lbs lighter than the S and 35lbs lighter than the SM if i remember right. It has 12.2:1 compression, and FCR39 carb, better profile cams and a larger diameter exhaust. i think they were rated at 44hp at the crank vs 32 for the SM.

big differences are going to be in the handling/chassis geometry. The SM comes with RM style inverted forks and a good rake/trail number. When you convert an off road bike you get a smaller rake and much less trail which means it steers less with the bars and more with weight transfer.

You want to buy my bike:)

Thanks Shift1313, it wasn't listed with any extras. Just a converted E. I'm new to the sm world, been on a bunch of street bikes and numerous off roaders. Trying to figure out which is the best deal or way to go here. Common sense tells me to pay $200 more for the factory sm which is also 8 yrs newer etc etc. It would be just a comuter/play toy as there are no tracks around to play on. If you were a little closer I would check yours out 🙂 Thanks again for input it's greatly appreciated.

Well as I mentioned the e has all the normal upgrades stock, but depending on condition that might not matter. Titled E models go for under 2k all the time around here. If you find one its best to convert it to sm yourself. Will cost about $1500 with all new parts. The stock sm will handle a little better since its geometry was setup for sm already so you will steer a bit quicker and have better front end feel.