Sign in to follow this  

2005 DRZ400SM popping/bad idle

Just got a drz400sm today.

It runs great once you get going.

Only problems are that on the decel it pops, like a back fire. Also if I pull in the clutch and go to coast to a stop sign then go to give it some rpms, it will die.

The idle doesn't sound real healthy, it sound like its going to die (which it eventually does). I have looked this up but didn't quite find the answer I was looking for. It has a Yoshi full exhaust on it, not sure if anything was done to the jetting of it. Any explanations on what it is and how to fix it?

Only problems are that on the decel it pops, like a back fire. Also if I pull in the clutch and go to coast to a stop sign then go to give it some rpms, it will die.

The idle doesn't sound real healthy, it sound like its going to die (which it eventually does). I have looked this up but didn't quite find the answer I was looking for. It has a Yoshi full exhaust on it, not sure if anything was done to the jetting of it. Any explanations on what it is and how to fix it?

Popping possibly from being lean. Bad idle -> adjust idle screw. Is the carb the stock mikuni? Was is jetted?

When my bike starts to die off idle I change the plug, it usually solves the problem.

+1 on too lean, especially with the better flowing exhaust.

Another possibility: I had a different cycle do this from a leak at the exhaust header / cylinder head interface. But, I think not too likely here.

Mine does that when the vacuum cap pops off the carb. I cap off the nipple where the petcock vacuum hose went and where the CA emission was removed.

I have the same year bike and it did the exact same thing to me when I first bought the bike. I cleaned the air filter, changed the plug, and made an idle screw adjustment and it's been a beaut ever since! (up until I blew it up.. working on that now.. hahaha)

The answer to your question is just after you say " It has a full exhaust on it "

So .. Review the jetting and clean the carb ... And beware of that Dang Corn Juice