Sign in to follow this  

Can a dirtbike handle my hight and waight?

Hi!

I realy want to get a dirtbike! buth i am not shure if a dirbike can handle my "body" i am 2 meters high and my waight is about 265 ibs

I am thinking about riding on sand and maby in the woods. not big jumps, maby hilclimb!!

So can it handle it? and what bike should i get?

(sorry for my bad english! come from Norway! but couldnt find any posts there)

Defintly. A lot of bigger guys ride. I've seen some 300+ and have no problem. Actually, they kick my ass. You'd have to be on a 450 though.

Here is somebody your size, ripping up my local track

Edited by cgirouard423

450 is what i was thinking to. thanks for the answer 😉

So i got nothing at all to think about or be worried about when i buy a 450?

anny special brand name?

anny special brand name?

Not really. Just get a bike that's in great shape and looks to be very well maintained. Get the nicest that your budget allows. You will need stiffer springs along with probably a tall seat. Probably $300 for everything. I've never owned a 4 stroke, so maybe somebody else can give you some better information on them.

Yep you need the power of a 450 or similar. I ride with a guy who would probably be heavier then you and he had an xr250 but it wasn't powerful enough to get him up steep tracks, also because he was only a beginner rider. He now rides a klx 400. Whatever bike you get you will need to have your suspension adjusted for your weight. He hasn't done anything to his suspension but it sags way to much.

And if your not super fit you will probably prefer something with electric start as only kick start becomes a pain on difficult tracks.

Okay. But just to ask how do i adjust the suspension? and do i have to change both back and front suspensions?

and should it be anny special suspension? never had a dirtbike before. thats the reason for all the questions

anny special brand name?

I'm 6'1 250 pounds before I even put riding gear on and my 450 is a monster. I don't even come close to using all of its power. It'll haul ass!

I met Ric Smit, former NBA player, he is bigger than you and he was on a KTM 300. So I know you can do it. Changing the springs is something you will need to do so the bikes ride height will be correct.Correct ride height is need so the shock and forks are set up to work at the correct height. Their performance will suffer if you don't change the springs for your size.

Lots of info about set up on here and other sites. You don't say where your from so no one can tell you about a shop local to you to help you. Good Luck, have fun.

Okay. But just to ask how do i adjust the suspension? and do i have to change both back and front suspensions?

Yes, front and rear. The suspension shop/parts web sites provide tables and even applications where you type in your height, weight, model and year of motorcycle, level of experience, and riding style, and they tell you what spring rates you should be running on the front and rear of the bike. Remember that these bikes come stock built for a 180 lb guy. Most of us should probably respring our bikes.

One such site is here: http://www.mx-tech.com/

You will have to disassemble the front and rear of the bike to install the springs. You'll also want to replace the seals on the forks unless they are brand new and you'll need a bottle of fork oil. You'll also need a couple of specialized tools. I'd estimate an extra $150 US in tools, seals, oil, etc. in addition to the cost of the springs.

If you are mechanically inclined at all, you will have no problem with this. The front forks may take 3 hours to complete your first time. The rear may take a little longer depending on what else you do while you have the rear end torn down. Or it could take less, but there are things that should be checked and done on the rear end of a bike that I think require something like this as an excuse to get into it.

There are lots of guys on this site that are bigger than you are. When I read the title of the post I thought you were going to say that you were 400 lbs.

I'm heavier than you , but not taller --- the kid in the promo video looks like he has a football Defensive End build or something ---- he must be in decent condition for his size to be hitting the track that hard --- probably doesn't even look overweight in street clothes, but bulky mx clothing makes big guys look even bigger --LOL

One thing productive I might add though, is it pays off to invest in good protective gear --- when your heavier than the average 165 pound mx'er, you carry more momentum - that means in the (hopefully rare) event that you take a tumble, you thump the ground with a lot of authority