Sign in to follow this  

Bike dies at stop

Hi there guys, I am new to Thumper Talk and stoked to find such an enformitive forum! I have a 2007 DRZ 400 SM that shuts off when coming to a stop. The bike will not start again until it cool down a bit. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, DR805

You are going to have to provide more detail. Not much to go on. Does the motor crank when you try to restart it? When was the last time the valve clearances were checked? Does the oil have any odor of gasoline? Any mods? Ca vapor emissions intact? or removed?....................

My bike does this also "2005 DRZ400S" I just rebuilt the carb, and put stock size jets back in. The only mod is a fmf powercore4 pipe the PO put on. I rebuilt the carb because It was leaking fuel, and wouldn't stay running. As far as I know the valves have never been checked on my bike. Is this a symptom of tight/loose valves? My bike ran ok last year. Just started doing this a few weeks ago, when I brought it out of storage.

it was in storage for about 8 months, with no stabilizer........ :naughty: . I ordered a "carb repair kit" from my local dealer, it included a few o-rings, new jets, needle, spacers etc. This bike has a mikuni carb on it. People have told me it may be a coil breaking down, cdi box, valves, or even a sparkplug. Weird thing is when it's cold, it will start in about half a second, like turning on a light switch. when it's hot though, it just will not start with the starter. Bump starting starts it every time when it's hot, starter not so much.

If its been sitting and ran fine before, I would change the oil, clean the carb and replace the spark plug.

• Like 1

Since I've rebuilt the carb, and didn't adjust the float height, could that be it. If so does anyone know what the specs are? And a good way to go about setting it.