Anybody here pull a toy hauler over the 79/S2 to Blair Valley?

I am planning a trip to Blair Valley next weekend (I know, I know it's gonna be HOT!!!!) but I was wondering if anybody has pulled a toy hauler over the 79 to the S2 to Blair Valley?

I have only gone to Ocotillo around the backside near Salton Sea but my buddy is insisting we go over hwy 79 to S2 which he says is shorter? The problem is I had two people tell me today not to go that way because the road is too windy and with a trailer it is a white knuckler and that in the end it is almost as quick and a lot safer going around the backside.

Oh and I guess I should mention I am coming from Orange County.

Any advice is appreciated. I would like to get there as quickly and safely as possible.

Edited by 380tom

Lived in OC for over 30 years... been both ways a million times. 10 to 86 to 78 is flatter and takes no longer. 76 to 79 to S2 is shorter but no faster. 79 through Temecula to S2 is def not faster.

Going back up S2 after the ride sucks towing.

Go out your buddy's way this time... Come home up 86... and see the diff for yourself. Next trip tell him to pound sand cause YOU KNOW the best way. ?

Gas and several free dumps on the 86 side too.

Sorry but you are both wrong. The best way is to take the 5 to the 78 East and run it! It's only a few hours longer and you can enjoy the twisties…... :devil:

You picked the wrong time to START sniffing glue :-)

• Like 1

I actually used to ride my motorcycle that way as part of a cool day ride.

Yeah, we will start in Banning, go through Julian, and come out onto the 8 for the long ass ride back to North O.C. It's about a 300 and sumtin mile day with the lunch stop in Julian. Gonna do that in a few weeks :-)

Yeah, we will start in Banning, go through Julian, and come out onto the 8 for the long ass ride back to North O.C. It's about a 300 and sumtin mile day with the lunch stop in Julian. Gonna do that in a few weeks :-)

Ahh, there are no secret loops. I sometimes hit Palomar up the backside and coast in neutral down the frontside…..

I am planning a trip to Blair Valley next weekend (I know, I know it's gonna be HOT!!!!) but I was wondering if anybody has pulled a toy hauler over the 79 to the S2 to Blair Valley?

I have only gone to Ocotillo around the backside near Salton Sea but my buddy is insisting we go over hwy 79 to S2 which he says is shorter? The problem is I had two people tell me today not to go that way because the road is too windy and with a trailer it is a white knuckler and that in the end it is almost as quick and a lot safer going around the backside.

Oh and I guess I should mention I am coming from Orange County.

Any advice is appreciated. I would like to get there as quickly and safely as possible.

Yes, this would be shorter than going to the salton sea direction. So you would come down the 15 to 79s in Temecula and go east, go through Warner Springs, make a left on the S2, when you get to the end it will be the 78, make a right on the 78 towards Julian and then make a quick left back on the S2. Blair Valley is a short hop from there maybe 5 to 7 miles. A beautiful drive I might add too. I prefer the 79 to the S2. for me it's better and the lower average speed gets me better MPG's. I have a Chevy Dually Duramax and i HAD a 42' Stellar 5th Wheel and I would go that way all the time. Half of the time at night. I know the road very well and know when to apply brakes and downshift. My trailer weighed nearly 20K loaded (with 3-dirtbikes and 1-Suzuki Samurai) and the 79/S2 was really no problem for me. Now my wife would damn near jump out of her seat on some of the turns and downhills, but it was a comfort zone for me. She would drink a beer (or 3) before we left so she could sleep through it. LOL Kinda like a day ride in Kennedy Meadows. I love the back roads, freeways are just too crouded.

Now I'm borrowing a 38' 5th wheel from my buddy till I get my own again, but I still prefer the 79/S2 way. I can go to and from nearly on one tank of gas. going the freeway, I nearly burn a full tank one way.

Depending on where you're comming from the OC, mapquest says to take the 5 to the 76, but I've been through the 76 without a trailer (east of the 15)and don't suggest that route. but, it's only 130 miles. Not sure the size of your RIG?, but that way could be a possibility too. Shoot, again, Ortega Highway to the 15s for that matter. How big is your RIG?, that would be the deciding factor for me anyway. Good Luck, Drive Safe and Have Fun, Dube

Edited by Dube2

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned I have a Ford Excursion (V10) and 22ft Toy hauler at about 7k loaded.

The Excursion is a 2002 with 156k so I try to take it as easy as I can. Although she has been very good to me I do not want to push it too much. If I had a diesel I dont think I would worry as much about the hills.

I recently went up the "backside" to Big Bear and did ok but not stellar. How would you guys compare the two?

The hills would be faster / shorter than the 10. 5 into Oceanside E76 all the way past Henshaw. Left at 79, right on S2. You'll be in cooler temps. If you were going to Ocotillo it may be a wash but would take an extra ~45 back tracking up to Blair.

Edited by ediot

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned I have a Ford Excursion (V10) and 22ft Toy hauler at about 7k loaded.

The Excursion is a 2002 with 156k so I try to take it as easy as I can. Although she has been very good to me I do not want to push it too much. If I had a diesel I dont think I would worry as much about the hills.

I recently went up the "backside" to Big Bear and did ok but not stellar. How would you guys compare the two?

V10 with 22'er. no prob dude. the hills on S2 are steep but short. nothing like banner grade or grapevine or even Cajon Pass. people get a false sense if they can't pull a grade at 55MPH, they need more power, etc... you just need to take a little more time. I've been towing since 95 and have never lost a truck, engine, tranny yet. Crossing Fingers and knocking on wood...

You should be just fine, we take that route all the time. We have a 31 foot RV towing a 20 foot enclosed trailer and had to troubles.

Does you're trailer have brakes or is it relying on the car's brakes? That could make a different with that much weight behind you....

Edited by crfcryzyzfltz

V10 with 22'er. no prob dude. the hills on S2 are steep but short. nothing like banner grade or grapevine or even Cajon Pass. people get a false sense if they can't pull a grade at 55MPH, they need more power, etc... you just need to take a little more time. I've been towing since 95 and have never lost a truck, engine, tranny yet. Crossing Fingers and knocking on wood...

How about leaving the toy hauler at home and just bobtail up to Blair Valley? You can stay in a nice air conditioned hotel less than 45 minutes away in Borrego Springs.

I drive for a living and the last thing I want to do is tow a house around to just go riding. The wife and kids will love you for it!

How about leaving the toy hauler at home and just bobtail up to Blair Valley? You can stay in a nice air conditioned hotel less than 45 minutes away in Borrego Springs.

I drive for a living and the last thing I want to do is tow a house around to just go riding. The wife and kids will love you for it!

yea, good idea too. or take the rig to Stagecoach Trails RV park and run the A/C 24/7 its on the way to Blair Valley. you pass right by it on the S2.

Stagecoachtrails.com. they even have a restaraunt on site.

yea, good idea too. or take the rig to Stagecoach Trails RV park and run the A/C 24/7 its on the way to Blair Valley. you pass right by it on the S2.

That place is sweet! Really nice general store on site as well. I have never ridden Blair Valley. Sounds like a better option than Ocitillo….

Well I guess this trip is going to help me determine whether or not that is an option in the future?

This trip is just me and a buddy. When I asked the wife if she wanted to go she said " are you crazy? It's gonna be blazing hot out there"

How far would it be to ride from Stagecoach to Blair Valley? This might be an option? And you're right I could just blast the AC 24/7