Sign in to follow this  

Improving rear brake 2002

How can I improve the rear brake on my 02? I already installed new pads and bled the, thoroughly. I'd like the rear brake to grab a little better. Seems I have to give it a good push to get the rear to lock. Any tips?

First, you need to de-glaze the disc before installing the pads, then break-in the pads using the slow break-in method:

- press down about 60% for no more than 5 seconds at a time, increasing the pressure over the course of 1 mile, until you are at 100%, always being careful to keep the brakes cool.

Keeping the brakes cool is extremely important, so you don't glaze the pad or disc while the pad and disc are mating.

That should give you that 'stock brakes' feel.

Organic pads have the best feel but fade the quickest

Sintered pads have more 'swictch' like feel, but fade less

Full metallic is pretty much for supermoto only

Beyond that, you need braided lines.

SS brake line

also replace the master cylinder clevis to the rear lever and you may need to have a machine shop install a new bushing in the rear brake lever to take up all the slack.

what they said. sintered pads will give more outright bite, a $40 steel braided line will give a more consistant feel longer during the ride/race. As they also eluded to, condition of the parts such as the caliper slide components. I wore out the 04 caliper and there was a good amount of play (you would wiggle it). This lead to uneven pad wear too. Not one pad wearing more than the other, but due to the caliper rocking when you apply the pedal, you end up with one pad wearing more in the front and the other pad wearing faster in the rear.. So, i found a used one on Ebay for not much and it was all better. I don't like the sintered pads for woods riding/racing. I want more control without that hard bite.. properly bled lines are critical. It won't take many air bubbles to make a soggy pedal.