Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke silencer help?!

Recommended Posts

I have an '05 tm125 2 stroke ( not that it matters...) and since I bought it the silencer was damaged (I was fully aware of it being damaged). i realised it would have to be replaced soon enough or have a DIY repair job done.

In the beginning there was 2 problems.... 1. It had no baffle, just some old ,dirty packing that lined the inside and 2. it was leaking at the back (loose rivets) .

I cracked it open and replaced the rivets , sealed it up and left the old packing in as it was sitting snugly (so it seemed) and doing its job rather well for its state.

a few small rides later ,I was cruisng along when I had a sudden loss of power. It turned out to be the packing. it had been pulled off the inner walls of the silencer and pushed out the opening of the exhaust. I pulled out the remaining packing and continued on ( I had no choice really).the Bike hasnt been ridden since I'm doing some maintenance.

My question is will it be ok (by ok i mean not damage it, minor power loss is acceptable when using it but no lasting damage/powerloss) to run the bike with what basically is an empty can on the back for a few more rides? other than the annoying whistle it makes aswell as the now twice as loud bellow power seems ...great , its running the best it ever has:)

I will go back for 2nd DIY repair job in a few weeks and if all else fails i will........purchase a new silencer :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put new packing in for under 10$ or use insulation, works the same!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ride it until you can fix it. Once you open it post some pics and I'll give you some tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ride it until you can fix it. Once you open it post some pics and I'll give you some tips.

&%$#@! sorry, its already fixed 🙂

for the baffle I used a steel pipe off some stand that fitted nicely over the remaining stump that is the old baffle. since my lack of power tools , in stead of holes I cut many many slits with a hack saw all around the pipe and to hold the new baffle on I used metal epoxy.

i wrapped the fibre glass around the pipe then cut off the excess at the top with a stanley blade. I slowly fed the fibreglass wrAPPEd baffle in to the can, when i had most of it in I applied epoxy and heatproof silicone to the inside of the end of the can to securely seal and hold hte pipe and baffle , I then re-riveted the silencer at he back (Italians havent invented bolts yet) , along with the epoxy it was a nice strong hold. Once tested it it sounded quieter but not exactly better..... but the whole reason i was doing this is to improve performance and quieten it down which I got in the end. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put new packing in for under 10$ or use insulation, works the same!

yeah man but the my problem was that if i do repack it there is no baffle to hold the packing in place so the same thing that happened before will happen.. and plus its a riveted exhaust and the original rivet holes are damaged so its a b...tch to open up and then seal up tightly again. but never mind I made a homemade baffle and reconstructed the silencer 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...