Sign in to follow this  

Air filters, does brand matter?

I have usually ran Twin Air filters in my 250 four strokes. They're about $10 to $15 more than the No Toil filters. My question is does brand matter when it comes to air filters? I know you get What you pay for, but does it apply here?

Edited by TannerCRF250

I usually run twin air or no toil. Honestly I just go by what my dealer has in stock. I don't choose one over the other. I kind of want to try DT1

I always make sure the filter has a good seal , I prefer OEM or UNI filter

This, I tried No-toil and it didn't seem to seal as good as i'd like. UNI has always had a good fit and lasted a while.

• Like 2

This, I tried No-toil and it didn't seem to seal as good as i'd like. UNI has always had a good fit and lasted a while.

+1 on the Uni great filter for under $30 shipped , try eBay pretty reasonable to

• Like 1

I've used both Twin Air and NoToil filters with good results. Have never had any of the sealing problems others talk about with the NoToil filters. They have a foam ring that when you get it pinched between the filter cage and the airbox, is going to seal just like any other filter The main thing that I do like more about Twin Air filters is that their foam seems a bit more dense in general than the NoToils. But once again, I've never had any issues with dirt getting through either brand of filter, even in very dusty conditions. Did have one NoToil filter come apart at the glue seam after 2 years of usage. All my Twin Airs are still like new.

Uni on the other hand, I've had one, and that will be the only one. With it's 2 separate filters design, it was a PITA to deal with trying to get both layers aligned with each other on the cage, then getting it on the bike without a for real seal problem with one of the layers getting left out. Then to top it off, the thing started coming apart after one use/clean cycle. Complete waste of $32 IMO.

• Like 1

I've used them all, and I like Uni and OEM the best.

On my DRZ, use OEM, with whatever motor oil. OK

With WR used Uni with Uni oil, always greased sealing lips, always dust in carb. From vents?

KLR, OEM, whatever motor oil, OK. Rotate 2.

Mike

On my Hondas I have always used UNI, they are all old and UNI makes filters for them. My KTM came with a Twin Air, and that's what I keep in it. With two spares. Cleaning two at a time is way better than cleaning one.

using No Toil , thats what he has lately. No difference, I don't think theres enough money in dirt bike air filters for alot of cheap companies to even bother. Any of the common ones out there i've tried worked fine. Clean them good, oil them. I spread bearing gerase on the filter where it will meet the air box and it sticks well and also catches anything that might try and get thru that seal. . . . . and yes, I clean them with gas (dont laugh) . I dont keep a filter around long enough for premature breakdown from gas.

Edited by avocasingletrack

I run a Twin Air filter in my yz250, never lets anything in, keep it clean and oiled as per instructions on either the filter or cleaning packet

I have found sealing it in an air tight bag to oil it works well to both spread the oil and not get lime green impossible to get off sticky oil on my hands

Edited by millak

I currently use Twin Air, oem for my KTM. I like the no-toil filter/system so the green oil and cleaner work well for me. A few buddies run the no-toil filters with no issues.

Twin Air is OEM on KTM's and that's all I use. I've got 4 of them that I cycle threw when changing. Never had a problem with them. I've been using them for years on every bike I've owned. I also use their filter oil and cleaner and both are great products as well.