Sign in to follow this  

'13 250 XC bottoms too easy

Im running the clickers past what the manual calls sport, a few clicks more comp and reb damping. The bike still bottoms too easy off dropoffs in the trail, g-outs and some jumps. I didnt have this prob on any of my previous bikes listed in my signature. Forks are 47, shock is 54-260. Im 170 w/o gear riding HS, rocky single track and some MX is a must. When i dial in any more comp damping its just too stiff. The initial travel is very good and i dont wana lose that. Im running with top 5 B sen guys and about a min or so behind top 10 A open guys on a 30 min loop. Any ideas what i can do to resolve this bottoming prob without adding more comp damp ? If i go up one stiffer on the forks and shock spring would that help ? (49 & 5.7)

Im running the clickers past what the manual calls sport, a few clicks more comp and reb damping. The bike still bottoms too easy off dropoffs in the trail, g-outs and some jumps. I didnt have this prob on any of my previous bikes listed in my signature. Forks are 47, shock is 54-260. Im 170 w/o gear riding HS, rocky single track and some MX is a must. When i dial in any more comp damping its just too stiff. The initial travel is very good and i dont wana lose that. Im running with top 5 B sen guys and about a min or so behind top 10 A open guys on a 30 min loop. Any ideas what i can do to resolve this bottoming prob without adding more comp damp ? If i go up one stiffer on the forks and shock spring would that help ? (49 & 5.7)

Add 10cc oil to each fork leg.

If the shock bottoms, increase the high speed nut 1/4 turn.

I tried the high speed nut out at 1 3/4 ...and 2 turns out. Last time i had revalve, FC ruined 2 sets of KYB's on me and cost me a fortune , i really like the action of these forks, it's just that once in a while I will bottom them hard , and bottom the rear too. Maybe i'll try oil height . I wish I could make them stiffer just in the last 3-4 inches of travel without affecting the whole initial part of the travel

Edited by avocasingletrack

You need to go in on the high speed nut, not out. Try 1.25 out from closed.

You need to go in on the high speed nut, not out. Try 1.25 out from closed.

i'll try it. I ran it at 1 and 1/2 initially and had the bottoming probs . Isn't bottoming a low speed compression problem though ? It also bottoms with 115/40mm sag 105/35mm sag and 100mm sag , tried it all and no difference in bottoming

i'll try it. I ran it at 1 and 1/2 initially and had the bottoming probs . Isn't bottoming a low speed compression problem though ? It also bottoms with 115/40mm sag 105/35mm sag and 100mm sag , tried it all and no difference in bottoming

Okay. Bottoming is typically a high speed event, not low speed. Landing a jump is high shaft speed. If you were still bottoming at 1/2 a turn out, you will need a revalve to cure the problem.

Edited by Adammoto

Okay, I hear you. If you were still bottoming at 1/2 a turn out, you will need a revalve to cure the problem.

Of course, he's claiming he's a tick off a A riders pace. Stock suspension just wont do it.....Adding oil or clicks, or pre-load spacers are only band-aids in his case......

I didnt try 1/2 turn out, i had it 1&1/2 turns out. I thought hitting square edge stuff was hi speed and jumps were slow speed. Thing is, the forks bottom too. Tnx for the suggestions guys