I keep wrecking grips

So...I dump my bike a lot and tear grips. The place I ride is very rocky and sandy, and once the grips are torn i start getting sand in the bars and throttle, not good.

Anyone have any tips to solve this? I need grips with metal ends or something.

I've started to carry duct tape with me, when i tear them I tape them up, but it doesn't help much

Then I guess there is no solution since you going down all the time and tearing your grips does the same thing.

Or I could cut up a red bull can and bend it over the end of the bars...

Yup, these will help save the grips. Pro Tapers come with plastic inserts that work great as well.

ODI's lock on grips might be a good option as well. I've never run them on a bike, but they feel very solid on my stand up jetski. If I found a good deal on a set for MX, I'd run them without hesitation.

How are you mounting your wrap arounds so that it gets dirt in the throttle?

I've had my bikes balls deep in mud and sand, dumped it a million times and never ever had dirt get in my throttle.

Ditto, I haven't torn a grip (or broke a lever) since I started using handguards. I also don't have the throttle issues post crash the OP mentioned. Maybe not leaving enough gap between throttle tub/grip and handguard?

• Like 1

I know all of the pro taper bars ive had come with a plastic piece in the end of the bars to prevent this. Their pillow top grips have a thick end on them also.

That's funny, i'm running pro taper bars and they didn't come with an insert.

How are you mounting your wrap arounds so that it gets dirt in the throttle?

I've had my bikes balls deep in mud and sand, dumped it a million times and never ever had dirt get in my throttle.

Well, when you run wrap arounds, you have a gap where dirt can work its way under the grip at the end of the throttle tube.

If you tape a nickle to the end of the bars then put the grip on this will help minimise puncture tears at the grip ends.

I like this, mostly because I like not spending any money.

Training wheels, then your bike won't tump over...... Thank me later...:-)

If you aren't crashing you aren't riding fast enough

Ditto, I haven't torn a grip (or broke a lever) since I started using handguards. I also don't have the throttle issues post crash the OP mentioned. Maybe not leaving enough gap between throttle tub/grip and handguard?

No, dirt gets in under the throttle tube, since the end of the grip isn't sealed anymore.