old post Baja Bound Moto

Breaking in a new motor on a KX250 2 smoker and found this.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

I don't recommend this,but I own a 1982 Husky 430 WR.Back in 95 I decided to to it in a 24 hour desert race.As expected with a bike of its age There were some issues during the rebuild.Long story short,we didn't get to break the bike in before the race.So the guy that built the motor was with us .He told me to just ride it.The only time the bike had on it was done the night before the race started(about 30 miles)on the race course.We ran the ratio at 28/1 for the whole race.We completed 818 miles in 24 hours.After that I did a bunch of vintage races,G.P.'s ect.Always running race gas and the ratio at 32/1.That bike ran for 11 years on the same piston.I put a new set of rings in it once ,but it ran well for 11 years(it still blows my mind).Another interesting fact,in the 24 hour race only 2 of the 30 or teams,only 2 teams broke existing records( many new ones were set).My team,and another team riding a KX250.Coincidentally they were pitted next to us.Also our bike was built when we arrived at the pits.Their's wasn't.I remember watching them finishing the build in the back of their box van.One of the riders on that team is a member of TT,Goes by the name of BajaBoundMoto.Just thought I'd share my experience. :ride:

I left my brain inside my other helmet.,1982 Husky 430 wr,1983 Husky 430 wr,2002 YZ 250(plated)

• Like 2

I had a 1983 Husky WR, never raced it, but I loved that motor. Lots of happy miles in Baja and probably the best two stroke motor I ever rode.

That BajaBoundMoto guy is till putting lots of miles in, still pretty fast, but he is a Honda guy now. Runs a tour company.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the owner/racer of that Husky (motoPat) we, all his "friends" were taking bets how long that bike would go in that first endurance race, I think I gave it a few hours, many were less lenient. That thing finished that D38 long distance event and kept right on going and going for other rides races and events,I even have some seat time on it as well. We were ashamed to have betted behind Pats back about how that thing would never go the distance. My 2013 Husky is not as reliable as Pats 82.... As for the other guy BBM, yea we all know him as well.