Sign in to follow this  

Crossroads

I am a 5'-6" overweight 52 year old man with a 30" inseam but somehow have shocked everybody I ride with that I can handle the DRZ the way I do on Hawaii's technical trails but I reached the limits of my DRZ & my capabilities last weekend when I followed a group on Laiea falls trail on Oahu Hawaii & hurt myself yet again. In addition to hurting myself at other times, at one point the bike fell on me & wedged itself against a tree with the bar pressing on my chest as I lay on my back & I couldn't breath. If my friend hadn't been there to pull the bike off I might have died.

We finished the day riding back on the Kahuku Motocross Park side where I am comfortable & know the trails. I am healing but I got tired of feeling this way. I was seriously considering getting a trials bike but just couldn't imagine not sitting at times, so I bought a 2005 Gas Gas Pampera 280 2 stroke that came with a spare frame, wheels, tires, swing arm, fenders, original forks & shock (they were upgraded on the bike I bought) etc & put it in storage unit across the street from some great trails in central Oahu (Mililani). I will catch a ride from there with someone if we aren't riding Mililani. Heres the bike;

http://honolulu.crai...3910965154.html

I will be putting the SuperMoto wheels, rack & top case etc back on my DRZ for everyday use & keeping the 18/21 wheels with Tubliss & MT43s for other types of rides or if a friend needs a bike to join us. The DRZ has worked great so far as a dual-sport since I didn't have a place to keep an unlicensed bike & my van is full of supplies for my business & I didnt want to tow a bike with it. The DRZ has allowed me to get into trail riding again but I keep going on more & more technical trails & it was time to get a different bike. For those of you that don't know Hawaii trails, maybe this video from the Island of Kauai will give you an idea;

It will be fun to have the supermoto wheels back on. I only rode the Pampera around the block & will do my first trail ride with it this weekend & see. Cue the; "But its a girls bike" comments now :moon:

Edited by Bedunjgi

Yeah .. I like the 2T , great bikes . I planned to get a 300 Ktm but " her indoors " put a stop to that 👎 she claimed 2 bikes kept inside the house is enough . So I had the option of selling my DRZ or CRF .. 😢 . I can't do that .

Those trails look interesting .. I prefer the wide open spaces

Tell her it's the latest trend; Moto living room art! Yea, Big Island has more open spaces but the nature of small islands with mountains means that there are going to be tight technical jungle trails at times. That video is from Kauai (Wettest spot on earth) & I think due to the races reputation that the trail is purposefully difficult. Many guys over there ride trials bikes & Gas Gas Pamperas. Oahu isn't as extreme but if you want to go deeper, an average white guy like me needs a light bike.