Sign in to follow this  

Crf 450 decompression arm

There's a ticking noise coming from the top end on my crf 450 2004. My valves are in spec and just had a new cam chain but its still the same. I've noticed that my decompression arm makes a clicking sound when its pressed down. Is this normal? I've been told it could be my rocker arm and have a new one to put in but I am just worried about the decompresser arm making this noise. Any help would be great.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1373533815.173489.jpg

have you adjusted the decompressor clearance correctly to spec?

I'm waiting for my feeler gauge to come, so I can set it correctly. I'm new to mechanics so I'm picking up some tools as I need them. Thanks for the reply. I will post the clearances as soon as I can, and hopefully I can get it sorted with a little guidance.

I set it to the spec in the manual and it has worked, no ticking now

I set it to the spec in the manual and it has worked, no ticking now

I just noticed the same issue with my 2004 CRF 450r. What are the spec supposed to be? Mine has .018 on the decompression arm and .011 for both exhaust valves. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Look at the crf 450 ticking noise topic and I think it explains the decompression spec. If you don't have any luck with that, I will check my manual for you when I get home.

Thank you! I just cant seem to get the feeler gauges under the cam.. When you adjusted your decompression arm did some noise go away?

You do know it has to be at tdc right?

They can be a little harder than the exhaust valves, but a little patience and you should be good. Start with a small feeler gauge and work your way up, you might find that easier.

With the ticking noise, the decompressor can be a factor and it did stop the ticking on my bike but I've just had a rebuild on mine as there was play in my con rod, hopefully you don't need one!

If that don't stop it, look for crf 450 ticking forum and there's lots of post with ideas to what it could be.

My knowledge is limited. Lol