Sign in to follow this  

2013 kx 450 rock hard forks

Basically! Iv tried everything and the forks are hard!

Not on the big hits or hardcore braking but the small bumps and first part of the stroke is impossible too ride!

Anybody have any ideas of what i can do??

I have to run like 2bar pressure just to rotate around the track and it still sucks! And at that pressure the front end sits low!

HAs anybody els found this?

My buddies ones feel way better than mine,

Even when i play with the rebound, it does not even change the fork!

Help!

often times harsh suspension is mistaken to be to stiff when its actually to soft. 2 bars is almost 30 PSI, which seems a little low...

• Like 1

You have something wrong if you don't feel any major reb clicker changes...Did you check the fork for binding?..I mean the way you put and tighten your front wheel?!

Sounds like it is binding up causing stiction. Loosen the pinch bolts on the right side fork foot and pull the front end down with the front brake engaged so the forks go through the stroke. That will align the forks. Then retorque those bolts with the bike un-weighted on the stand. Also check the torque setting on all 8 triple clamp bolts. If these are to tight it will cause stiction also.

Yea I double and tripple checked that!

Had KAwasaki rebuild them as well and they came back worse!!!

How much sag should you have an the front end of these bikes?

Iv got like 55mm ! Is that correct?

It does not come back higher than that unless i pull it up!

I have a 2013 kx450f and these are the steps ive taken to make my forks feel better. Number 1, is I cant express how important it is to check you're psi in the forks before EVERY ride. as soon as you get to the track/trails/etc. Not in the morning when you wake up and then drive to the track. Do it there. Number 2, TORCH WRENCH. Make sure you have the bolts on you're triple clamps at 15 pounds of pressure tight. If you over tighten the triple clamps that can bind up internals. Also when tightening the triple clamps. Make sure you tighten the bolts in the correct pattern. I do the inside or top bolt on the bottom triple clamp first to 7 pounds of pressure with the torch wrench then do the bottom or inside bolt on the top clamp to 7 pounds of pressure. Then i do the bottom or outside bolt on the bottom triple clamp to 7psi, top or outside bolt to 7 on top clamp to 7 psi, then repeat process to 15 psi with torch wrench. Also I ride with my forks at 37psi. I wouldnt do anything over 40 psi, thats what the manual says. I'd double check with the manual and tighten all you're bolts to the correct amount of pressure that has anything to do with anything on you're forks or anything that touches you're forks. I set all my fork settings to what MXA(motocross action magazine) says they found best on their kx450. They know whats up. My forks feel fine now that ive done that. Also play with the fork height sitting in the triple clamps. That has alot to do with turning and all around feel for diffrent tracks. I usually drop my forks down for higher speed tracks and raise em up for smaller slower and tighter tracks. Sorry if this is to much. Just trying to help.

Awesome thank you!

If I could just ask how much sag you have on your forks? almost 60 mm seems way too much to me!

The bike is at Kawasaki South Africa head office, cause they still don't seem to be working correctly! Maybe i can hook myself a new pair under warranty if they can not fix it.

Had the same issue, raised the psi 35 to 39. Much softer feeling on the small chop because the fork is higher in the stroke.