Sign in to follow this  

cr85 any good for me

hi im 13 years old and im around 5 foot tall my first bike was a 70 chinese than a 125 pit bike then a 200 chinese i did own a cr80 before the 200 but it was a dud the carby was worn out really bad so i has to sell it, i like to ride trails and i also love motocross i can trail ride but i need the mx fill my dad recommends the ttr230 he has one as well ive riden it flatout all to 3 gear as my 200 is just as fast, my guess is the ttr is good for trails but when i want motocross the suspension is crap and the cr85 suspension is like a cloud the cr80 was like a cloud but i surpose when i hit trails it will foul plugs and stuff like that, i heard u can trailize the cr by running the premix to 40 to 1 instead of 32 to 1 and i flywheel weight. what do u guys think.

A 2 stroke won't foul plugs as long as you have your jetting dialed in. A ttr 230 is a heavy trail bike and would be worthless on an MX track. A 80/85 or 100 2 stroke would be good because they are light and have a lot of power and work well just about anywhere. Set up is key.

yeah i am also look at the honda crf150rb there a 4 stroke race bike my friend has one and i was smoking the 85s just there alot more exspensive im looking at getting a yz85 then getting a flywheel weight so yeah thnx for the reply

Yip, just junk a flywheel weight on it. Honestly though a 85 makes hardly any power of the pipe maybe consider a 4 smoke or a bigger 2 smoke.

lol a 85 omg nononno ok the 150s are a mess, over heat at the gates and cant hold there puke in. i hate how you guys come on here making false statements. A cr or yz85 would be a great choice although they willl be better on the track and the yz and cr dont have powervalves so they hit like a light switch and pulll like a race bread horse. A rm 85 or kx85 have powervalves which tames theme down alottt more so if you not a reall aggresive rider id get a kx or rm, prolly a rm. Now the good side to getting a 85 is it will teach you how to ride better vs a 150r anddd the 150rs are not faster, they just have more torque so you dont have to downshift as much its easier to keep in the meat of the power. but cr's and yz's areeee peppy and when on the pipe they haulll

My second bike ever was a ktm sx85 it was a little rocket ship, so I imagin all the 85's are pretty fun little bikes, and now you can pick up 06's and up for $1500 or less, better then spending 2500 on a 150r, you would totally be happy on a crisp 85

Just sold a 100% redone and race ready cr only thing on it I didn't like was black plastics and a graphics kit that the previous owner had put on I had 800 into it after buying it cuz it needed rebuilt and I put it all back together fixed anything that was wrong and ran it a while but boy do they run there snappy little bikes.

thnx for the replies i have heard alot of hate on the 150rs but im just not a aggressive rider sure i like to ride motocross just for fun a the local track but i trail ride alot and the 150 is just as fast as a 85 and the suspension is just as good and i can ride slow for as long as i want without fouling plugs, i know there dear but i will pay the extra doe so yeah thnx for the replies, i dont know if a find a cheap yz thats in good nick and isnt old i might get it i went to look at an an 06 cr85 but the guy who just looked at before us bought it so yeah

Yip, just junk a flywheel weight on it. Honestly though a 85 makes hardly any power of the pipe maybe consider a 4 smoke or a bigger 2 smoke.

85's make more than enough power for him, they actually have good amount of power for there weight and size.

85's make more than enough power for him, they actually have good amount of power for there weight and size.

I didn't say they don't make power. Those things FLY. he said he wants I trial ride and I said they don't make much power OFF THE PIPE. sorry bout the confusion 🙂

If I were you I'd go with an 85rb. You'll be able to ride it longer because of the height difference and mods that can be done. This is the reason I didn't get a 150rb ONLY bc of the $ diff. Not just off the bat, but bc of repair $ as well. Two strokes are cheaper period. I run the 40:1 mix for the trails and I did change the jetting, not bc of fouled plugs, but simply bc the bike ran better and didn't smoke as badly. The main jetting was changed to a 120 main. That bike wheelies so easy and runs so good since I made the changes. Hope that helps!