Sign in to follow this  

handlebar height

Hey guys i was wondering what the effect of to high handlebars would be? preferably on a sand track

Thanks

Too tall handlebars, one the biggest issues is your elbows drop, which makes it harder to steer and control the bike, because your elbows are parallel with the bars, so whenever your front tire hits anything, your not able to put downward force on the handlebars to compensate for the upward force thats being transferred from the hit to the front wheel. If that makes any sense at all.

Head shake is also a negative effect from too tall bars.

It takes you out of your comfort zone as well, its just not as fun to ride when your uncomfortable all the time.

i get really bad headshake on acceleration bumps even bumps leading up to sand entrys and in corners it felt like it didnt wanna turn in then when i got it in it felt like it wasnt to oversteer is very strange haha

so cant wait to try standard bars

Thanks

Check your rider sag, and static sag. Also check your rebound, make sure its not too fast.

I would suggest rc low bend, or any other low bend.

How tall are you, and whats your current bar bend?

I'm 6ft I just put stock bars back on my 350sxf had windhams but felt like I was constantly leaning back and pulling up havnt had a chance to try stock yet

Hey guys i was wondering what the effect of to high handlebars would be? preferably on a sand track

Thanks

In Gary Semic's videos...cant recall which one...he offers some great advice on setting handlebar height. If you stand with your feet flat on the pegs...mid arch...stand straight up...straight as a board...then reach out with your arms straight...and see where your hands fall on the grips...the grip contact should be at your second digit on your longer fingers. I have always been really comfortable with my bar height...and and other riders my same height (5'-11") who have riden my bike all commented on how natural the ergos felt. So...when I saw Garys vid..I checked...and I was by pure luck...exactly where he said you should be. So...listen to Gary.