Sign in to follow this  

first time front tyre change

trying to find you tube video or link of a husky front tire change I just need a new or patch tube my manual is so basic and no details for a noob.I know I need to loosen 4 fork support bolts then do I just loosen the 12 mm hex and the axle comes out ? because other end of where hex is just has a "L" shaped locking pin thing that seems there to stay any help appreciated

Loosen the axle nut first, then loosen the pinch bolts (the 4 bolts). The L shaped item is to assist in pulling the axle out. You can tap the threaded side of the axle if its hard to pull out.

so the L shaped pin stays there ? I mean you can pull the axle out from the opposite side of the hex
Can you put a pic up?

You need an Allen socket, with a torque wrench. Using the little keys will not work and you'll strip the nut. And yes you pull it out opposite the Allen bolt.

• Like 1

Ck your PM, I sent you a step by step. Also might want to replace that hex bolt with one of these ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1373575235.457339.jpg

Thx guys yes lunger the hex nut seems strange to me and not a common hex size either.For sure I need a hex socket set which nobody I know seems to have I can get a torque wrench thou lol.

Edited by jonny08te510

Update* I know have proper hex set with breaker bar to remove hex nut and a torque wrench to tighten but can I loosen hex hut before pinch bolts or does the brake side fork pinch need to be loose before ? Its also surely been factory tightened as has factory tyres and rim is it ok to loosen hex on ground its not stable onstand

Update* I know have proper hex set with breaker bar to remove hex nut and a torque wrench to tighten but can I loosen hex hut before pinch bolts or does the brake side fork pinch need to be loose before ? Its also surely been factory tightened as has factory tyres and rim is it ok to loosen hex on ground its not stable onstand

Leave the 2 pinch bolts tight on the non-brake side.

Loosen the 2 pinch bolts on the brake side.

Loosen the 12mm hex axle nut.

• Like 1

Try using a 3rd tire iron when spooning on the new tire. Be careful not to pinch the tube and don't patch the old one! Get a new HD or ultra HD tube. Use baby powder in side the tire so tube will seat easy and lots of windex when mounting the tire, it will slip on better.

Try using a 3rd tire iron when spooning on the new tire. Be careful not to pinch the tube and don't patch the old one! Get a new HD or ultra HD tube. Use baby powder in side the tire so tube will seat easy and lots of windex when mounting the tire, it will slip on better.
Also add a little air to the new tube during install. That will help prevent pinching the tube during install. I use a Mix of liquid soap & water for lubrication. Edited by GreenHornet450

Thx alot once again guys I didnt have tyre spoons and the bike shop sells em for $20 a pair or fits tyre for same so just got them to do it lol.One big problem is put new tyre back on and my torqy is a huge one fine for axle hex but doesnt go down to small pinch nut torque.And then doing last pinch nut with rachet felt go loose and I knew it had SNAPPED! Then I read the torque is not really that tight and common to do this whats easiest way to remove bolt its about half way in snapped in middle and half isnt threaded so top part came out .And is it ok to ride or definitely not with only 3 pinch bolts

update - I did the aussie bush mechanic job because I tried doing the drill hole in middle try wind out but it didn't work.So what I did was drill it out to a 8mm hole thread it and make it 8mm bolt rode it seems no different.I plan on upgrading forks in future anyway so if it causes problem no biggy but I cant see why it wont be fine