Sign in to follow this  

xt250 CUTTING OUT

hi all

i have an 80s 6v Xt250 which has been going well however recently it has developed a cutting out after around 30 mins of riding

usually it will start again when cold however this morning it did not

have changed the plug out and ordered a new ignition coil

just hoping someone can point me at what i should be looking for?

Stator?

regulator?

any guidance much appreciated

best regards

JJ

Under what conditions does it cut out? Hi or low RPMs, heavy throttle, etc. By cut out, you mean it misfires but keeps running? Or dies and leaves you walking. Are you sure it's temperature and not time running? Crud in the carb bowl will cause trouble after vibration. Lack of vent to the gas cap will cause fuel flow to slow or stop after time, and depends on load (fuel usage), fuel level in the tank, etc.

Under what conditions does it cut out? Hi or low RPMs, heavy throttle, etc. By cut out, you mean it misfires but keeps running? Or dies and leaves you walking. Are you sure it's temperature and not time running? Crud in the carb bowl will cause trouble after vibration. Lack of vent to the gas cap will cause fuel flow to slow or stop after time, and depends on load (fuel usage), fuel level in the tank, etc.

hi thanks for the reply

sorry for the delay and thread reserection..

have now rewired stator as it was this that was the issue]

however the chap who had it prior to me had it all wired in green..yay

so now i am cross plugging until i get spark

throwing the plug in and giving it a kick

i have found that in one config it fires easy and runs rather flat

in another it wont kick until first started in previous config then if cross plug two wires i get really good pull

but it wont start like this cold...

i will bell it all out again but is there anything that would cause this strange behavour?

many thanks in adv

JJ