Sign in to follow this  

'13 XC 250 Bottoms too easy

And Im running the clickers past what the manual calls "sport", added few clicks more comp and reb damping. The bike still bottoms too easy off dropoffs in the trail, g-outs and some jumps. I didn't have this prob on any of my previous bikes listed in my signature. Forks are 47, shock is 54-260. I'm 170lbs w/o gear, i'm riding PA/NY HareScrambles, rocky single track and some MX is a must. When i dial in any more comp damping it's just too stiff. The initial travel is very good and i don't want to lose that. Im running with top 5 B sen guys and about a min or so behind top 5-10 "Open A" guys on a 30 min loop , that's where i'm at skill level. Any ideas what i can do to resolve this bottoming prob without adding more comp damp ?

If i go up one stiffer on the forks and shock spring would that help ? (like a 49 fork & 5.7 shock)

I'm really hesitant to even think about re-valving because the suspension is really good in 90% of what I ride... I wish I could just make the last 3-4 inches stiffer without affecting the initial travel that i'm very happy with.

Have you tried adding some oil... other than adding fork oil probably looking at a revalve and/or the mxtech huck? valves

Have you checked the pressure in the bladders. My '12 was having the same issue, turns out that there was no psi in the bladders, a quick freshen up, fluid change, and proper inflation of the bladders helped a bunch.

Theres 350 in there now

I had similar issues with my XCW which I know has different forks but from the factory they use 4 wt oil and had oil level at 140 to 145 mm below the top. I went to 5 wt oil and raised the level to 115mm below the top and it made a world of difference in bottoming resistance plus I could back my clickers way back to get better handling on the rocks and roots.

Springs are 47 , shock says 54-260 . I had sag at 105/35 when it was bottoming... I tried 100/~30mm and 110/40mm which seemed to make no diff ...so i have it at 110 now (doggy ass) which i prefer. M 170lb w/o gear ...forks and shock both bottom a little too easy

Edited by avocasingletrack

both the front and rear should go down together when you have your sag set. and you spring is correct.

check with your local suspensino guy or try a big company to just find out the recommended springs for your weight, skill, and riding style. i suspect you have to soft of springs, but if not then you may need to get them revalved to stiffen up faster towards bottoming.

if you are serious about racing you should have them revalved anyway.

Springs are 47 , shock says 54-260 . I had sag at 105/35 when it was bottoming... I tried 100/~30mm and 110/40mm which seemed to make no diff ...so i have it at 110 now (doggy ass) which i prefer. M 170lb w/o gear ...forks and shock both bottom a little too easy

If you can get sags to be correct the rear spring is probably correct for your weight...the fork springs at .47 seem awfully stiff too me??? But again I have an XCW...I weigh 190 in my birthday suit and I have one spring at .44 and one at .46 giving me .45 and they are more than stiff enough and I am running a 7.6 in the rear, but I have PDS.

I still say you need to raise your fork oil level to add bottoming resistance

It had 45's which were way soft. I ride somewhat aggressive and the 47 feels fine to me. Only if i put alot more comp damping than the manual's "sport" setting do the forks get stiff...and yes it goes down very equally when I bounce up and down, sitting and standing. I can get correct sag (105 RS /35 FS) ... i donno, it just bottoms a little too easy. I never cased my 09 xcw , my 08 yz125, 12yz 250

Edited by avocasingletrack

Agree with above, try adding oil, it's easy & almost free

Sounds like you're not willing to take much of the advice given here. Best best for you might be just send your stuff to a suspension shop.

Sounds like you're not willing to take much of the advice given here. Best best for you might be just send your stuff to a suspension shop.
wrong. I discussed this with a local guy and that what I was told about more oil. Im very happy with the fork action, just not the bottoming. Im thinking huck valves

wrong. I discussed this with a local guy and that what I was told about more oil. Im very happy with the fork action, just not the bottoming. Im thinking huck valves

More oil will not make it harsh. As your oil or fluid passes through tthe valves it makes the valves work but when you run out of fluid to work the valves you bottom out, that simple. Have you changed the fluid? Stock is very light 4 wt. I was bottoming out really easy as well. Factory air chamber was 140 ish mm...I changed to 5 wt oil and changed my air chamber to 115 mm. No more bottoming and I was able to back my clickers out back to were my initial stroke was better in the small stuff. But again I have an xcw not xc.

http://www.csrsuspension.com/

Call these guys for proper spring tension, for your weight.

Or, http://genuinedirtracer.com/

Probably the BEST WP suspension guys in the USA.

Listen to what they say and take it to heart. The -13 Xc suspension is VERY good stock, and can be tweaked to perfection, but you have to start with proper spring weight.

Adding 10-15 ml in the front forks will make big change in bottoming resistance, and not the overall stroke feel. But no kidding, spend some time on the phone and get answers from the guys whom make a living at this stuff.