Sign in to follow this  

What tire pressure?

I have a 2014 250l i picked up a week ago. It had a bit of a wander at 45 ish on up to 60 mph. It was only in the rear. I checked the rear axle alignment and it was 1 and a half lines off on the swing arm from one side to the other! Once i got it close i used a tape measure from the center of the swing arm bolt to the center of the rear axle and got the alignment perfectly equal from side to side. It still has a very slight wander but it feels like maybe the whole bike. Ive been playing with the tire pressures a bit. The owners manual and the sticker on the chain guard say 22psi, the tires say 33psi max. Im 6' and 230 pounds so i bumped the rear up to 25 psi and it seems to grip well minus the movement of the soft knobbies. I put the front at 25 also but just last night dropped it to the suggested 22psi but have not had a chance to ride it. I dropped the front because if i push on the center of the tire i could not really see or feel the tire flex at all which makes me think its too hard and a video i seen on youtube said that 2psi makes all the difference in the world with the stock tires on these bikes. I grew uo riding dirt bikes and four wheelers but this is my first street legal bike. Any suggestions or thoughts is appreciated.

Does it wander while riding in a straight line?

I never experienced the bike wandering. It did take a little while to get used to the knobby tires when they were fresh. After they were scrubbed-in, all was good.

Ya... in a straight line. It felt like the seat would move side to side. Seems to have went away for the most part i just feel what i believe to be the tires now. The bike has 148 miles and the slime is still on the side lugs and sidewall. Maybe tires arent broke in yet?

I run 30 in the rear and 25 up front on the pavement. My trails have been flooded as it is a river bottom OHV park. I hope to ride there this Sunday and believe I will drop the front down to 15-18 and maybe the rear as well.

I checked the rear axle alignment and it was 1 and a half lines off on the swing arm from one side to the other!

That could totally cause the bike to wander big time!!!

The other thing you might want to consider doing is at your wieght, you may want to crank in some preload into the rear shock spring. There are a number of handling threads in tis forum that discuss that topic. read up

• Like 1

Yea i read a detailed thread last night on adjusting pre load. You think itll make that much of a difference?

May be the road surface too. I know on chip sealed roads around here my bike wanders around a bit but on smooth pavement it's straight as an arrow. It also seems that in a heavy head wind the front end lifts and causes a flighty feeling. As for tire pressure I keep both at 20psi.

I have a 2014 250l i picked up a week ago.

If I was you ..... I would take the time and go back to the first page of threads and read up on all the "old" news around here. Lots of very important topics along with links to stuff etc .... are all on this forum and this place is an awesome resource for anything and everything that relates to this fine machine we all seem to love so much around here. :prof:

It might take some time but your patience will be rewarded 👍

Welcome to the club and I look forward to seeing what direction you choose to go with this bike ... :cheers:

also if you read all the old stuff you will find out how much I HATED the stock tires with a passion !!! .......🤣

I gave them away to a fellow forum member at 400 miles because I hated them so much and I did not like seeing them in my garage :goofy:

Yea i read a detailed thread last night on adjusting pre load. You think itll make that much of a difference?

I'm not sure increasing the rear preload will help your wandering issue. The bike comes from the factory pretty well fully assembled including the wheels being fitted. I'm shocked yours came with the rear wheel THAT out of alignment and am almost sure that is what the wandering came from. As razorbill pointed out, sometimes road surface can cause wandering.

I just found that at my wiegh (180 lbs.) the rear spring was way to soft. Raising the preload put more wieght on the front end and handling was vastly improved.

• Like 1

also if you read all the old stuff you will find out how much I HATED the stock tires with a passion !!!
Gnath, I can't believe you missed the opportunity to plug a certain suspension company and tell us all how much you love your suspension upgrades.... ONLY KIDDING!!!!

Sorry to the original poster for the slight off topic excursion, you'll find that happens a lot around here.

• Like 2

Gnath, I can't believe you missed the opportunity to plug a certain suspension company and tell us all how much you love your suspension upgrades.... ONLY KIDDING!!!!

Sorry to the original poster for the slight off topic excursion, you'll find that happens a lot around here.

And of course the only way to get this bike to handle properly is to upgrade to the full Race Tech suspension :prof:

RaceTech_25Years_.jpg😛

• Like 1

The wandering issue was solved with rear wheel alignment. I guess my question was will the knobs kind of flex a little on the street? Thjs is my first street legal bike....

• Like 1

ONLY????

now you've gone to far mister!

(kidding)

Hey .... you were prodding me for a plug .... so I gave you a good one 😛

and as far as I am concerned and speaking from my personal experience .... yes the are the "only" one .... :prof:

😏

• Like 1

The wandering issue was solved with rear wheel alignment. I guess my question was will the knobs kind of flex a little on the street? Thjs is my first street legal bike....

I say ... yes they can ... always be careful with "New" knobbies ... as they wear in they do get better

Ok. Thanks for all the info guys. Im at 150 mi now. As i near 300 mi ill update on the handling. Thanks again

When my CRF250L was new, I had the same squirmy handling at speed. My rear axle was also badly aligned from factory. But I now have over 4000 miles on the bike, and it handles the highway speeds extremely well for a bike its size. What changed?

It was the tires. Those stock IRC tires can be awful on the pavement until they are worn down about 20%. Once that happens, the handling improves dramatically. This handling problem doesn't happen for everyone, but perhaps some batches of these tires have issues. That, combined with the lack of attention at Honda for the rear axle alignment, could really screw with handling at speed. Take your bike for a few rips on some gravel FSR's and those tires will wear down quickly, improving your handling issues.

Next set of tires will not be IRC. Perhaps Dunlop D606 will be a good choice. If you do mainly paved roads and FSR's, then the Shinko 705 would be awesome on the highway.

Just some thoughts :-)

Cheers

• Like 1

When my CRF250L was new, I had the same squirmy handling at speed. My rear axle was also badly aligned from factory. But I now have over 4000 miles on the bike, and it handles the highway speeds extremely well for a bike its size. What changed?

It was the tires. Those stock IRC tires can be awful on the pavement until they are worn down about 20%. Once that happens, the handling improves dramatically. This handling problem doesn't happen for everyone, but perhaps some batches of these tires have issues. That, combined with the lack of attention at Honda for the rear axle alignment, could really screw with handling at speed. Take your bike for a few rips on some gravel FSR's and those tires will wear down quickly, improving your handling issues.

Next set of tires will not be IRC. Perhaps Dunlop D606 will be a good choice. If you do mainly paved roads and FSR's, then the Shinko 705 would be awesome on the highway.

Just some thoughts :-)

Cheers

IRC is actually a good brand of tire.

I replaced my stockers with IRC TR8 Battle Rally's and could not be happier.

I totally agree with your post tho .... but, It was not the brand of tire but the model. Just looking at the way the tread design is and you can tell it would want to track sideways .... man I hated them stock tires :rant:

0000_IRC_TR8_Battle_Rally_Rear_Tire_--.jpg0000_IRC_TR8_Battle_Rally_Front_Tire_--.jpg

I noticed the tyres squirmed around when the knobs were fresh, but once fully scrubbed-in, all is good.