Sign in to follow this  

2013 450 XC-F top end rebuild help

I am just doing a piston and rings. This is my first time doing this on a thumper, I have done many 2 strokes so this is new to me, but the best way to learn is to just do it.

I have the valve cover off and I cannot remove the cam. I have pulled the top 4 bolts and the smaller side bolt to remove the holder bracket, but the cam does not budge. Do you have to pull the cam chain apart? Cam chain tensioner is also removed.

Also, after finding TDC by removing right side case bolt, removing thick washer and reinstalling bolt into crank notch, I have noticed that the small mark on cam is pointing straight down? Is this correct?

yes, 90 hours and it's blowing a little blue smoke every time it starts up...it's noticeable.

ok so the truth is that i sunk her into a mudhole and sucked a little bit in, so it was a must do as it started blowing smoke like a 2 stroke. Got the top end apart tonight finally and the cylinder is in great shape, no noticable scores just shiny cross hatch, so I'll just flip out the piston and rings and pin it. The rocker arm retainer bolts on the right side of head were the only bolts I had to pull to get the cam too loosen up and then it came right apart. Why does KTM use gay allen head bolts for the main cylinder & head and then use amazing torx bolts for simple things like the subframe?? I'm a big torx fan.